That’s a big name for a muffin. But it’s a muffin loaded with big flavors and little fat. So the name stays.
My very favorite cornbread/corn muffin recipe is absolutely perfect. Perfect, in that’s it’s melt-in-your-mouth tender. “Perfect” because it’s loaded with butter and shockingly scary amounts of heavy cream. “Perfect” in that it make your arteries cry for help.
To make it a little more “perfect,” we replaced all of the heavy cream with fat-free Greek yogurt. And then added a generous dose of goat cheese, green onions, and cracked black pepper. A lighter, yet just as delicious, savory cornbread muffin perfect to serve along side red beans & rice. Or just to grab on your way out the door to pick up your 2-yr old from preschool [looks around and whistles].
I sing the praises of fat-free Greek yogurt (I use Fage 0%) with just about every baked goodie that I post. It keeps the batter thick, the fat content low, adds a little protein, but most importantly – it keeps the final product tender. Kinda like heavy cream. Only without wicked amounts of fat.
White Corn Muffins with Goat Cheese and Green Onions
A lighter cornbread muffin made with Greek yogurt and studded with goat cheese, green onions, and black pepper.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese (a little less than a 4 oz container)
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- Generous amount of fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 8 cups of a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and then add the butter, egg, yogurt, goat cheese, green onions, and black pepper.
- Whisk/stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared tin and bake 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick tester comes out clean (if using white cornmeal, you can't rely on browning to indicate doneness).
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan and then turn out to cool completely or serve warm.
Yields: 8 muffins
Estimated time: 30 minutes
Calories: 217.1 | Fat: 10.4g | Fiber 1.2g | Protein 8.6g | Carbs 23.2g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 6