During the summer, we eat a lot of the tomato-basil-mozzarella combo. Those flavors can give a fresh makeover to even the most plain dishes. Like turkey burgers.
We grow tomatoes (this year, even successfully!) and basil in our veggie garden so we’re usually only on the hook for fresh mozzarella and some good balsamic vinegar.
We like to mix basil pesto into the ground turkey before grilling and then top with some melty mozzarella and finish the burger with a drizzle of a thick balsamic vinegar.
It’s a great way to use up fresh pesto when the basil in our garden is threatening to invade the rest of the yard. And if you buy the pesto already made, it’s a really quick way to make tonight’s turkey burgers even better.
The Italian Burger
An Italian-inspired turkey burger with basil pesto, fresh mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar.
- For the turkey pesto burgers:
- 20 oz package of lean ground turkey
- 4-6 Tbsp pesto (purchased or homemade)
- For serving:
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 4 Burger buns
- Pesto mayo (stir together equal parts mayo and pesto)
- Tomato slices
- Basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar
- Heat your grill to high.
- Break apart the ground turkey into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add basil pesto. If your pesto is very thin, consider using the low end of the range. If it's thick, you can add more.
- Lightly mix with your hands to distribute the pesto and then form 4 patties.
- Cook ~4 minutes each side (to desired doneness or internal temp) and then top with slices of cheese during the last minute so it has time to melt.
- Serve the turkey pesto burgers on buns with pesto mayo, fresh basil leaves, sliced tomato, and a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes