My very, very favorite way to prepare scallops is to wrap them in bacon and serve with a blackberry-port sauce. As a matter of fact, it’s the only way I’ve made scallops in the last two years. We make our own port so it’s always fun to work a bottle of our house wine into dinner and then drink the rest with dinner.
The last time we ate at Patranella’s, I ordered the scallops. They serve their scallops over risotto topped with a tomato relish. It was an off dish… a tad more miss than hit but as The Foodie Groom and I picked it apart, we decided that they were definitely on to something. (I’m not just my own worst critic ) And the next time we found scallops on sale, we’d take a crack at it ourselves with a house favorite, Sun Dried Tomato Jam.
The Foodie Groom declared the dish a winner and went back for seconds. Me? I held out for dessert. It was a nice change from our usual scallops dish… how can you go wrong with sun dried tomato jam and goat cheese?
Scallops with Sun Dried Tomato Jam and Goat Cheese Orzotto
- 1/2 recipe Sun Dried Tomato Jam
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- 4 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 16 jumbo scallops
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook shallot until softened and add garlic, stirring and cooking an additional minute.
- Add orzo and stir thoroughly to coat the pasta. Add chicken broth to the saute pan 3/4 cup at a time, stirring frequently to keep the pasta from sticking. Add additional broth before the previous addition has been completely absorbed.
- Add the last of the broth and crumble the goat cheese into the pan. Stir until the goat cheese melts and the broth has almost been completely absorbed.
- Salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in another saute pan. Pat scallops dry and salt and pepper both sides.
- Cook half of the scallops 3-5 minutes on each side. Add the additional oil and cook the remaining scallops.
- Divide the orzotto between 4 bowls. Top with scallops dressed with Sun Dried Tomato Jam.
Without Sundried Tomato Jam
Calories: 391 | Fat: 15.1 | Fiber 9
WW Points: 8
With Sundried Tomato Jam
Calories: 510 | Fat: 22.3 | Fiber 10.7
WW Points: 11
Yields: 4 servings