About a year ago, I flipped passed a recipe for Raspberry Buttermilk Cake in Gourmet. It wasn’t really my kind of cake. 1 layer? No frosting? No thanks.
And then I found myself with a mountain of blackberries and few new ideas so I gave the cake a chance. I love the simplicity of this cake, so much so that I’ve now baked some adaptation of it more than a dozen times. My favorite flavor is Blackberry-Lemon. The lemon and buttermilk make for a tangy, tender cake and the big, fat juicy blackberries? They’re big, fat, and juicy.
It’s the perfect recipe for spring and summer fire-sale berries and isn’t so over-the-top that you can’t have a piece after dinner all week.
Blackberry-Lemon Buttermilk Cake
A simple, tender cake that's perfect to highlight your favorite in-season berries.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 5 oz fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in the middle. Butter/flour or spray an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar on medium-high until pale and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add almond extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add egg and beat well.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk in two batches, mixing until just combined. Pour batter into cake pan, spreading evenly and smoothing top. Scatter berries evenly over the top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate and cut into 8 wedges. Store covered for up to three days.
Yields: 8 Servings
Estimated time: 45 minutes
Calories: 199.6 | Fat: 6.6 | Fiber 1.4
WW Points: 4