This salsa is what happens when you cut open what feels like a perfectly ripe avocado and find… well, not a perfectly ripe avocado.
A perfectly ripe avocado isn’t grey inside.
Dinner was supposed to be a fantastically delicious repeat of Salmon with Strawberry-Avocado Salsa. Studies have shown that you can’t have “fantastically delicious” with a grey avocado.
If I were more organized, I could have remembered exactly how many days before I’d brought the salmon home – 3? 4? the package doesn’t stink, so surely it was this week. I could have justified throwing in the towel and dragging everyone out for dinner. But that required eyeliner and lip gloss and a 3.5 year old with a clean face and 2 matching shoes.
Sometimes grey avocados aren’t the toughest battles to fight at the end of a long, whine (not a typo)-filled day. There are just some battles that are far, far too exhausting to fight.
It’s days like those that I’m thankful for the forgotten half log of goat cheese shoved into the back of a fridge drawer.
Which is always far easier to find than that matching shoe.
Spicy Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salsa
A sweet, spicy, and tangy salsa that goes great with everything from fish to crackers.
- 1 pint strawberries, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- Small handful of cilantro, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, chopped or thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- ~3 oz crumbled goat cheese
- Mix all ingredients except the goat cheese together.
- Crumble the goat cheese over top, lightly toss, and serve.
- Goes great over simple baked salmon, on chicken and fish tacos, with crackers and chips.
- Will keep a few days in the fridge, but, you know, they're strawberries.
Yields: Servings very
Estimated time: 15 minutes