It’s grilling season. Kind of.
And by kind of, I mean there are currently icicles hanging off the new grill. The new grill I bought specifically to make these fajitas.
Of course there are icicles. Because this is Texas and Spring Break is 3 days away and the Bluebonnets and Paints are already peeking out along 71 near LaGrange. So it’s time to nuke everyone’s happiness with garden-crushing temperatures and “Thundersleet.”
So I guess that makes them Thundercicles™.
They can take our beautifully deceptive spring weather, but they can’t take our tequila. Unless it’s after 9pm or Sunday and then there’s no place open to buy tequila.
(Tequila. It makes the intolerable aspects of Texas slightly more tolerable.) (™)
Chicken breasts are marinated in, essentially, a margarita. Then they’re grilled to charred perfection and served wrapped in fluffy tortilas with grilled vegetables, pico de gallo, and avocado. And washed down with a pitcher of margaritas.
Happy Another Texas Spring Break Spent in a Sweater!
Tequila-Lime Chicken Fajitas
Juicy chicken fajitas marinated in tequila and lime.
- For the marinade:
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 1/2 oz (3 Tbsp) tequila
- 1 tsp of chile powder
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lb chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- For serving
- Olive oil
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1 large white or yellow onion, cut into 1/3-inch rounds
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- Small flour tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced avocado
- Place the marinade ingredients into a gallon freezer bag and squeeze to mix.
- Add the chicken, seal, turn to coat, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Longer is better.)
- Oil grates and heat grill to medium-high.
- Drizzle onion rounds, bell pepper slices, and cut ends of the lime with olive oil and place on the grill (if your grates are very large, grill on folded-to-double-thickness foil with slats cut through it).
- Add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes and then flip everything (veggies included) and cook for 6-7 minutes more until veggies are nicely charred and juices run clear from the chicken.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve chicken on tortillas, topped with grilled veggies, pico, avocado, and a squeeze of grilled lime.
Yields: 8 fajitas
Estimated time: 1 hour 35 minutes