That’s the smell of August. It’s the fiery, smokey scent of (probably) a ton of Hatch Chiles roasting at the door step of my HEB.
This month, my package of HEB Primo Picks was bursting at the seams with Hatch Chile This and Hatch Chile That and Oh! Oh! – More Hatch Chile Goodness.
After the squeals subsided, I grabbed the Two Bean Hatch Pepper Dip, Hatch Salsa Verde, and the Hatch Tortilla Chips and then went to work giving everyone’s (including mine!) favorite party dip from 1987 a modern face lift.
The Seven Layer Dip. I know you remember it. Layers of taco night fixins dumped into a casserole dish and topped with those vile little black, rubber-tire olives. (Could those things be any grosser?!)
This version – it’s fresher, it’s loaded with hatch chiles in three different layers, and it’s thankfully missing anything that could resemble a tire.
Refried Beans Roberts Reserve Two Bean Hatch Pepper Dip
Guacamole Avocado, smashed with lime and salt
Picante sauce Central Market Hatch Chile Salsa Verde
Layer 4: Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
Layer 5: Sour Cream (or if, like me, you only ever buy fat-free Greek yogurt – then fat-free Greek yogurt)
Layer 6: Roasted hatch chiles
Layer 7: Pico de gallo
So head out today – or, like, yesterday – to get your Hatch Chile on.
Hoard Buy, seed, chop, bag, freeze, and repeat. 3 or 300 times. I won’t judge – I’ll be far too busy trying to find room among the 20lb of cherries in my freezer for 20lbs of hatch chiles.
Update: The lucky winner is Debbie with comment #71!
HEB has provided a selection of Primo Picks for one lucky reader. To enter, simply answer the question in the comments below: What is your favorite dish using Hatch/green chiles? You can earn up to 4 extra entries by:
– Leaving a separate comment below that you follow us on Facebook.
– Leaving a separate comment below that you follow HEB on Facebook.
– Leaving a separate comment below that you follow the blog’s Instagram feed.
– Leaving a separate comment below that you follow HEB on Pinterest.
The fine print:
– Maximum of five (5) entries per person.
– Giveaway ends at midnight (Texas time, y’all) on Wednesday, August 20.
– Winner will be selected by one of those cold, soulless, unfeeling random number generator thingies and announced on this post.
– Winners will receive a selection of HEB Primo Picks from HEB.
– Prize must be claimed within 7 days or it will be forfeited.
– Winning “extra entry” comments subject to verification.
– Prize can only be shipped to a US address.
– Official giveaway rules can be found here.
Seven-Layer Hatch Chile Dip
A fresher version of the traditional Seven-Layer Mexican Dip, loaded with roasted hatch chiles.
- 10.5 oz jar Roberts Reserve Two Bean Hatch Pepper Dip
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- ~1/2 jar Central Market Hatch Chile Salsa Verde
- Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 large hatch chiles, roasted, seeded, and chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- Small handful cilantro
- In a wide dish or pie plate, evenly spread the bean dip.
- Smash the avocado with some lime juice and a generous pinch of salt and spread over the beans.
- Spoon the salsa verde over top and sprinkle with a layer of cheese.
- Spread the sour cream over the cheese and sprinkle the roasted chiles over top.
- In a small bowl, stir the tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro together with a pinch of salt.
- Spread pico de gallo evenly over the top of the dip.
- Serve cold with tortilla chips.
Yields: Servings vary
Estimated time: 15 minutes
This recipe was developed in conjunction with H-E-B and I was provided ingredients as well as compensated for my time. Messy fingers, stretchy-waisted pants, and baby-Elmo-clogged-toilets are all mine. You can find H-E-B on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. And if you’re as lucky as we are, 3 locations within a 5 mile radius.