When I think of easy-to-make freezer meals, I think of lasagna. And then I shudder.
My dear husband loves lasagna. I do not. I’m not sure what it is exactly that makes me wrinkle my nose and shoot the idea down. It’s just pasta, meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella. That’s it – I eat that in other forms twice a week. I’m not one to shoot down “boring foods” – or any food, really, for that matter.
Whatever the reason for my dislike, I knew that lasagna would be an easy meal that even my little brother could reheat while my mom was immobile after her recent surgery so I caved. I was a little nervous after delivering dinner to their house but then my little brother called. “That was so good but I could only eat about a quarter of it.” The 5-layer lasagna I made was a little thicker than he’s used to, I guess!
My little brother is a bottomless pit. He can eat, eat, and eat – and after he’s done, he can eat some more. The really unfair part is that he’s tall and lanky. I sure do envy that metabolism! Oh, how wonderful would it be to spend the day baking and eating sweet goodies without the threat of my rear end expanding beyond acceptable limits.
I made lasagna, I ate lasagna, and I enjoyed lasagna. I sliced the room-temp leftovers into single servings and straight to the freezer they went. A great save for dinner after a late night at the office!
A big recipe for a big lasagna. Make one, freeze one.
- 1 large box lasagna noodles (16 oz)
- 5-6 cups meat sauce
- 15 oz ricotta
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray two 9x13 pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix 3 cups of meat sauce with the ricotta cheese. Season to taste.
- Place 1/2 cup of sauce in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Lay 3 lasagna noodles side-by-side in the dish. Spread some of the ricotta mixture over the noodles and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Create another layer of lasagna noodles, spread meat sauce over the noodles and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat and top the 4th layer with cheese.
- Repeat the procedure for the second lasagna.
- At this point, you can tightly wrap the dishes with foil and freeze or bake.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- If frozen, bake covered for 45 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes.
Yields: 24-32 servings
Estimated time: 35 minutes