Our garden continues to crank out zucchini like there’s no tomorrow. Luckily, “we” like zucchini! One of our favorite sides is grilled zucchini. But not just plain grilled zucchini. Noooo. We grew tired of plain grilled zucchini very soon after our plants started producing 3 baseball-bat sized zucs a day.
Grilling the zucchini caramelizes the rounds and adds a wonderful smokiness to the veggie. Paired with red onions that are incredibly sweet when grilled and a simple vinaigrette, they’re the perfect side dish for a weekend cook-out or barbecue.
Grilled Zucchini & Red Onion with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette
Smokey grilled zucchini and red onions are topped with a fresh summery vinaigrette.
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 3-4 large basil leaves, chopped
- Heat grill to medium.
- Carefully thread the onion rounds onto skewers (this will keep them in tact as rounds while grilling), making sure the skewer goes through every onion ring.
- Brush onions and zucchini rounds with 1/4 cup olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables 9-10 minutes each side, until nicely caramelized.
- In a small bowl, whisk garlic, lemon juice, zest, mustard, oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper together.
- Place cooked vegetables on a platter, drizzle with dressing, and top with chopped basil leaves.
Yields: 4-6 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes