Are you tired of grilled foods? Me, neither The 30-day streak of 100+ degree weather, now that’s a different story. But not the foods that come along with it.
Sweet, juicy peaches and sweet potatoes are excellent grilled. And they’re even better when skewered and paired with a tangy glaze and crunchy, spiced pecans. Don’t skip – or skimp on – the pecans. They add a flavorful crunch that’s absolutely perfect if you’re serving the skewers over a salad. 2/3 of my house might not have agreed… but that means more pecans for me!
Honey-Glazed Chicken, Peach, and Sweet Potato Skewers
A summery meal from the grill: juicy peaches, smokey sweet potatoes, and chicken topped with a tangy glaze and spicy pecans.
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 3/4 lb), peeled, sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 peaches, pitted, halved, and each half quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1.5-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Heat grill to medium. If using wooden skewers, soak eight of them in water.
- Quarter the sweet potato slices into 16 chunks. Place sweet potatoes in a covered bowl with a couple of Tbsp water and microwave 3-5 minutes, until slightly soft (not completely fork-tender).
- Put the vinegar, 1/2 cup honey, and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small pan over medium heat.
- Simmer until thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Thread the pieces of red onion, chicken, sweet potato, and peach onto the skewers.
- Reserve half the glaze. Brush the skewers with the remaining half of the glaze.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side.
- Toss the pecans in a small bowl with the remaining honey, oil, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Place piece of foil on the grill and scatter the nuts on the foil, cooking 3 to 5 minutes (they can burn quickly so don't forget to set the grill timer!)
- Transfer the skewers to a serving platter, brush with the reserved glaze, and sprinkle with pecans.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 1 hour