I love, love, love chocolate and peanut butter. And I love making macarons. So much so that The Foodie Groom has issued a temporary ban on macarons 🙂 With the holidays fast approaching, I’m excited all the valid reasons I’ll have to make more cookies. It won’t be Christmas without red and green macarons!
I intended to fill all the macarons with chocolate but had a change of heart. I blame the big Costco-sized Jif jar calling me from the pantry. The peanut flavor wasn’t overly strong in the cookies so instead of filling all of the cookies with chocolate, I filled half of them with Jif. Because there’s no better peanut butter than Jif.
Peanut Butter Macarons
Light airy macarons flavored with peanut butter and chocolate.
- 55 grams almond flour
- 55 grams peanuts, unsalted
- 200 grams confectioners sugar
- 100 grams egg whites (from 3 eggs, either separated 24 hours in advance or microwaved for 8 seconds)
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- ~2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Process the almond flour, peanuts, and confectioner's sugar in your food processor until finely ground and thoroughly mixed. Place egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk until foamy. Add the sugar and turn the mixer to high, whisking until you have a glossy meringue.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites gently, briskly at first to break up the meringue a bit, until thoroughly mixed. Transfer the batter to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and pipe rounds of 1.5 inches along two silicon-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle half of the cookies with chopped peanuts. Let sit one hour at room temperature.
- Heat oven to 300. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely and remove from the pan.
- Pipe a generous tsp of peanut butter or melted chocolate onto half of the cookies, top with peanut-topped cookies, pressing down lightly.
- Note: Obviously, this is a quick and dirty recap of the process. Check out the "Macaron Bible" for the non rocket science details.
Yields: ~24 macarons
Estimated time: 2 hours
Calories: 87.6 | Fat: 5.6 | Fiber 1
WW Points: 2