I’ve been waiting for this day for over 2 years. Literally! In the fall of 2009, I had the pleasure of testing recipes for Lisa Fain’s cookbook, The Homesick Texan, one of my very favorite blogs, turned cookbook. And just shy of two weeks ago, a copy showed up in my mailbox. Christmas in September. With a high over 100. Typical, Texas.
I must admit, I am a recovering cookbook addict. A year ago, I had shelves and shelves full of cookbooks. Our first home in Houston was built in the early 70’s and had several built-in
cookbook shelves. It had history and character. And the world’s ugliest smokey mirrored-walled wet bar. But did I mention all the bookshelves?
Our new home in the suburbs was built 10 years ago and has four walls. And ceilings. And that’s about it. We have far less book storage so only the very, very best and most used get to stay. And this book is one of those.
In southeast Texas, we have an absolutely wonderful mish-mash of cultures – a little Cajun, a little East Texas, amazingly fresh seafood from the Gulf, a little influence from the Hill Country, and a lot of influence from Mexico. And The Homesick Texan Cookbook celebrates all of it, from kolache to pork tacos, from chocolate pie to queso flameado. Each turn of the page brought a bigger and bigger smile. Lisa may live in a big city up north now, but her book does Texas and our foods proud.
And we want you to have the book. If you haven’t ordered it already, here’s a chance to win a copy. And if you don’t win, put it on your Christmas list! Because we think you’ll like it that much. Simply leave a comment below and tell us:
What’s your favorite Texas, Tex-Mex, or Mexican food?
Are you crazy about fresh tortillas? A fan of Frito Pie? A queso connoisseur? Or maybe you are one of the very few that appreciate a big spoonful of chow chow on top of your pinto beans. (Mom and I are in pretty small company on that one )
Updated: The random number generator has spoken. Congrats to lucky commenters #263 (Natalie) and #254 (Kelsey). Instructions to claim your prize were sent to the email address that you left with your comment.
The fine print:
– One comment per person.
– Giveaway ends at 11:59pm (Texas time!) on Friday.
– Two winners will be selected by one of those cold, soulless, unfeeling random number generator thingies and announced on this post on Saturday.
– If prizes aren’t claimed within 7 days, alternate winners will be selected.
– Contest is open to readers world wide.
Houston-Style Green Salsa
Tomatillos and avocado make a creamy, tangy salsa familiar to fans of Houston's Tex-Mex scene.
- 3/4 lb fresh tomatillos (~4) or 11 oz canned tomatillos, drained
- 1 large avocado
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 serrano peppers, seeds removed (or left in!)
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- If using fresh tomatillos, remove the husks drop them whole into a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes to soften. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer them from the pot to the blender.
- Remove the pit and scoop out the avocado and add it to the blender along with the garlic, peppers, and lime juice.
- Blend until you reach desired consistency.
- Add cilantro and a pinch of salt, pulsing once or twice to combine.
- Leftovers will keep several days in the fridge.
Yields: ~2 cups
Estimated time: 10 minutes