One of the things I like most about reading food blogs is seeing an old flavor getting new life. Or just a facelift. You’ve probably seen your share of buffalo chicken [fill in the blank] recipes over the last couple of months. Soup, tacos, mac & cheese… pretty much everything but wings.
I’ve actually never been a fan of the flavor outside of it’s semi-traditional form but I can kill an order of Buffalo Chicken Tenders at the grill around the corner from our house in near record pace. (They also randomly have the very best blue cheese dressing ever – super thick, chunky, and not overly mayo-y.)
I converted the popular Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread into Buffalo Chicken Monkey Bread, filling it with a wing sauce-chicken mixture and serving it along side wing sauce and blue cheese dippers. I scaled down the recipe a bit from the original pizza version so I could use some freebie cans of store-bought dough instead. It didn’t even make it to kickoff at our Super Bowl gathering.
Like me, if you love the flavor, the Kardashian-esque oversaturation isn’t really a problem. But if you hate it… well, I probably lost you way back at “Buffalo.”
I do totally feel sorry for the anti-Red Velvet crowd near Valentine’s Day, though
And I totally want to punch myself in the face for typing the word ‘Kardashian.’ Just know that I am ashamed 😛
Buffalo Chicken Monkey Bread
Buffalo chicken and blue cheese offer a savory twist on the classic monkey bread.
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and finely cut/shredded (~1 lb)
- 3/4 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup wing sauce, plus more for serving
- ~1.5 lbs pizza dough (I used 2 cans of Pillsbury pizza dough)
- Bleu cheese dressing, for serving
- Heat garlic and butter over medium heat just until the garlic begins to brown. Remove from heat and let sit.
- Heat olive oil over medium high and add onions, cooking 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add chicken and 1/3 cup wing sauce, tossing to coat. Add additional wing sauce if necessary - just enough to coat the chicken well, but not enough to puddle in the pan.
- Lightly brush the inside of a bundt pan (or other oven-safe dish) with garlic butter.
- Pull off large marble-sized balls of dough and flatten (~2/3 of an ounce or 18-20 grams, a kitchen scale makes this very easy). Top with a rounded tablespoon of chicken filling.
- Wrap the dough around the chicken, pinching well to seal.
- Very lightly brush the pizza ball with garlic butter and place into the bundt pan (I dabbed the pizza balls on a butter-dipped silicon brush to keep butter use low - there will be 1+ Tbsp leftover - and my hands butter free. Buttery hands make it hard to get the pizza balls to seal).
- Repeat until all of the dough is used.
- Cover and let sit while preheating the oven to 400.
- Bake for ~35 minutes, until the top is very brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto a platter and serve with additional wing sauce and bleu cheese dressing for dipping.
Yields: 14 servings (3 pieces)
Estimated time: 2 hours
Calories: 249.1 | Fat: 3.9g | Fiber 3.7g | Protein 13.7g | Carbs 40.8g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 6