It’s fall! [Insert girly squeal here]
I know, I know. Your calendar says differently. But allow me to present to you my evidence:
You might have noticed that things have been rather quiet around here. And if you haven’t noticed, let me tell you: things have been rather quiet around here. Most of the things we own have just had their two-month protective cover of drywall dust removed and the top of my kitchen island is no longer being used as temporary tool storage.
I’ve recently shaken the whole first trimester “food is gross” feeling. After living off of Campbell’s soup, Townhouse crackers, and Chick-fil-A, I’ve actually started cooking again. And just in time for fall! (I haven’t even looked at comments/email yet… sorry.)
I’m certain that I’m not the only one with fall-food cravings. The canned pumpkin shelf at Kroger looked liked it was hit by a tornado – or at least pre-hurricane shoppers. I scavenged for a couple of cans and left positively giddy. Have I mentioned how excited I am about it being fall?
A lil’ ol update: Y’all. Let’s talk about those leftovers. Whip up your favorite french toast batter and put the rest of that loaf to bed! I used AB’s recipe, subbing maple syrup for the honey and adding 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. [Swoon] The pecans lost some of their crunch so they didn’t add anything special to the french toast – I might leave those out next time.
Pecan-Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon-Honey Butter
Pecan-studded pumpkin bread is perfect slathered with a cinnamon-honey butter.
- For the Pecan-Pumpkin Bread
- 3/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 stick + 1 Tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 7.5 oz canned pumpkin (1/2 of a 15oz can)
- 1 5/8 cup (210 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 heaping tsp all-spice
- 1/2 heaping tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup milk
- For the Cinnamon-Honey Butter
- 2 sticks butter, at room temp
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread pecans out on a baking sheet and toast 5-7 minutes. Let cool. Prepare a 9- or 10-inch loaf pan (baking spray, butter + flour, etc).
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix at low speed until just combined. Fold in pecans and pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes (check with skewer after one hour) or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove from the pan, and cool completely on a baking rack. Serve warmed with whipped honey-cinnamon butter. Wrap leftovers (riiiiight) tightly.
- Place softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed and add honey, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix for 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn softened butter out onto parchment paper or plastic wrap, roll into a log, and refrigerate until firm.
Yields: 1 9-inch loaf
Estimated time: 1 hour 30 minutes