We interrupt your regularly-scheduled Project Pastry Queen for a celebration! Emily of Ruf Love and her husband are expecting a sweet baby boy this summer and A Gilt Nutmeg (another Emily – we have 3!) is hosting a virtual shower filled with fabulous baby shower eats to celebrate.
I chose to make Cherry Lemonade. Because every pregnant woman deserves a refreshing beverage… even if, for a few more months, it can’t be as “frosty” as she’d like it to be 🙂
Beautiful, sweet red cherries have been plentiful – and super affordable – in our grocery store the last couple of weeks. And few things offer relief from the summer heat quite like a tall glass of lemonade.
We blended up a cherry-infused simple syrup and poured that into our favorite homemade lemonade. Not too sweet, not too tart, and wonderfully refreshing.
Congratulations to Emily! And thank you to A Gilt Nutmeg for coordinating and hosting this week!
Fresh cherries and lemons make the ultimate homemade pink lemonade.
- For the cherry simple syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (or the equivalent of your favorite sweetener)
- 2 dozen cherries, pitted and stems removed
- For the lemonade:
- 1 recipe cherry simple syrup
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3-4 cups water
- Heat water and sugar in a small sauce pan, just until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture turns clear.
- Pour into a blender and add the cherries.
- Blend for 10-15 seconds and pour through a fine strainer set over a pitcher.
- Using a spoon, press the solids to get all of the liquid out and then discard the solids.
- Add lemon juice to the pitcher and then add water to taste (3-4 cups is ideal).
- Serve over ice.
Yields: ~5-6 cups
Estimated time: 15 minutes
I feel refreshed just from the picture! What a beautiful drink for any one who wishes to cool off with a soft drink.
Oh my! I NEED this like….now! Yum!
MAJOR congrats to Emily! And damn does that look good. I’ve always been a pink lemonade kinda gal but I’m thinking cherry is the new pink.
Now living in Mississippi, I’m having to get used to the new seasons and also noticed cherries already in bountiful supply, and completely affordable! I love this idea for cherry lemonade. It’s beautiful, too, Shawnda!
You’re the best. Thanks for “bringing” something to Baby Ruf’s shower, Shawnda! I just happen to have a ton of cherries and lemons in my fridge AND I’m constantly on the hunt for non-alcoholic bevs. This should be perfect.
that’s gorgeous!! What a sweet gesture for Emily 🙂
perfect! so making this later!! 🙂
OMG! I think i need that like……………….right now
Omgoodness! This is fantastic. I jut made it using leftover lemons and cherries. Cherries were so expensive! I didnt want them to go to waste. Knowing my kids this drink will not last an hour.