Quick. Easy. Light. Yummy. It makes me very happy when I can use all those words describe one single recipe.
This is probably one of my favorite new recipe finds from last month’s Everyday Food. It tastes like spring in a bowl – the lemon, peas, and chicken are simple and fresh – and it is super quick, especially when you let the grocery store cook the chicken! The dish is easily adaptable to handle just about any vegetable you want to throw in to the pot.
Couscous with Chicken, Lemon, and Peas
Simple and light with lemon, peas, and couscous.
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 wide strips of lemon peel, plus additional zest for garnish
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Skin and debone 1/2 a rotisserie chicken. Shred meat and set aside. Reserve any drippings from the carton.
- Heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and drippings to pan and bring to boil. Stir in lemon peel and peas and return to a boil.
- Stir in couscous and stir and add chicken. Cover and turn off heat. Let sit for 7 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Fluff with a fork. Divide into bowls and serve garnished with parsley and additional lemon zest.
Yields: 4 Servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes