Me: Baby, you don’t care for key lime pie, do you?
Him: [throws grenade, shotguns a red guy in the face, dies from a sniper shot to the head] No.
Me: Yeah, me neither.
Not an unusual conversation by any stretch, but I’d just put a bowl of Key Lime Oreo Truffle “goo” into the freezer to firm up. I ran across Oreo Truffles on Our Sweet Life last week and decided that the extra block of cream cheese in my fridge had just rediscovered its purpose. Pair that with the fact that I needed to do something to eat up the time until Halo 3 went on sale at midnight…
These truffles are good – unbutton-your-pants-to-make-room-for-more good. My kitchen was a disaster when everything was said and done but at least our tummies were full, thanks to the truffles. And thanks to my dear husband and Halo 3, Master Chief was kickin’ some serious tail.
Key Lime Oreo Truffles
A fun twist on an Oreo truffle.
- 1 package Golden Oreos
- 3 Key limes, juiced
- 1 pkg cream cheese, room temp
- 6-8 oz white chocolate
- graham cracker crumbs, for garnish
- Zest of 1 lime
- Crumb the Oreos in a food processor and mix well with cream cheese and lime juice. Refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes to make rolling the truffles easier.
- Melt white chocolate in a double boiler. Roll the truffles into balls and dip into the white chocolate. If you remove the truffles from the chocolate with two forks (or a truffle gadget), and you hold your mouth just right while balancing a spatula on top of your head, your truffles won't "grow feet." I forgot the spatula :)
- Put the truffles in the fridge to set. Garnish with graham cracker crumbs.
Yields: ~3-4 dozen truffles
Estimated time: 1 hour