I absolutely adore the strawberry + goat cheese combination. Sweet, juicy, in-season strawberries meet a creamy, tangy goat cheese. It’s a combination that knows no limits: appetizers, sandwiches, and even dessert.
Toss those strawberries with a good balsamic vinegar and peppery arugula, and pile it on some crusty French bread?
There’s a perfect balance, a combination of sweet and savory flavors, in each bite. Call it heavenly, call it perfection, or just call it lunch. But do set aside some of your strawberries this season to make a sandwich.
Strawberry Panini with Arugula and Goat Cheese
Lunch goes meatless with the sweet-savory combination of strawberries, balsamic, arugula, and goat cheese.
- Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Handful of arugula
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Goat cheese, at room temp
- Loaf of crusty bread
- Preheat a grill pan or panini maker.
- Place strawberries in a bowl, lightly drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and toss.
- Split the loaf of bread in half and spread both sides with desired amount of goat cheese.
- Top with strawberries, a pinch of salt, a couple grinds of black pepper, and a handful of arugula.
- Top with the other half of the loaf and grill until golden brown and the goat cheese melts.
- Serve hot. Warm. Or even cold as leftovers.
Yields: Servings vary
Estimated time: 15 minutes