Aside from the Alamo, the Lone Star, and some binge-watching of Friday Night Lights, there might be nothing in this world that’s more Texas than a Frito Pie Hamburger on a Jalapeno Cheddar or a Shiner Bock bun.
And being from Texas, I can make such a claim 🙂
We spied the Frito Pie Burger on a “fancy” burger menu on a trip to Austin once – completely genius. We usually have Frito Pie Burgers the night after having Frito Pie. It’s the perfect way to use up that little bit of leftover chili we always seem to have. You know the dilemma – it’s too much to throw away but not enough to make another bowl.
Since the burger buns keep so well in the freezer, I always just grate a little extra cheese and slice an extra jalapeno so that burger night only involves grilling the burgers – which is only slightly more work than actually having Frito Pie.
Frito Pie Burgers
The Texas specialty on a burger topped with Fritos, chili, and cheddar.
- 1/3-lb ground beef patties, seasoned and cooked to your preference
- Burger buns (Jalapeno Cheddar Buns or Shiner Bock bun are solid choices)
- Fresh jalapeno slices
- Fritos (Original, not Scoops)
- Chopped white onion
- Grated cheddar
- Heat the chili to very hot.
- Place the burger on the bottom bun and then layer the toppings: Fresh jalapeno slices, a small handful of Fritos, a pinch of chopped white onion, a large spoonful of chili, and a large handful of grated cheddar.
- Serve immediately. Possibly with a fork.
Yields: Servings vary
Estimated time: 20 minutes