It’s the cornerstone of a good partnership. He grills. I bake. I fetch the utensils from the kitchen. He keeps a watchful eye over dinner, spatula in one hand, a cold bottle of his home brew beer in the other. We make a good team. And he makes a damn good burger.
Grilling on the back porch makes me dream of lazy weekends – a rare occurrence ’round here. Holiday weekends around our house usually means there’s some big DIY project on tap. Maybe it’s retiling a bathroom floor, installing baseboards, painting… we’re those people. This Memorial Day weekend was different, and it only took me almost breaking my leg on the mountain bike to secure the weekend off.
When my husband got a new grill, I bought a grilling cookbook. It was only fair 🙂 One of the first recipes to catch our eyes was the Cabernet Burgers. Holy mother. Rarely would I ever describe a picture of raw meat as gorgeous, but the photo of that deep, Cabernet-infused red patty had us both drooling. Ground beef can be way sexy!
The burgers were super juicy and retain a nice smokey, wine flavor after grilling. The extra wine reduction drizzled on the burger was just sweet enough to perfectly balance the savory flavors from the Everything bun.
We’ve used several wines with awesome results: cabernet, merlot for a nice oaky flavor, and shiraz which gives the burger a nice peppery bite. If you like to drink it, chances are you’ll like it in your burger.
Cabernet Burgers on "Everything" Buns
Juicy burgers spiked with a reduction of your favorite red wine, paired with an "everything" burger bun.
- 2 cups of your favorite red wine
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium slicing tomato, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Olive oil
- 3 Burger buns ("everything" buns pictured)
- 3 slices of your favorite cheese
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- In a medium sauce pan over high heat, combine the wine and brown sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Let boil and reduce to 6 Tbsp (3/8 cup). This will take about ~25 minutes. Let cool to room temp, ~10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, crumble ground beef and season with salt, pepper, and a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add 1/4 cup of red wine reduction and lightly toss to mix.
- Form 3 burger patties, handling as little as possible (they'll feel really loose and fragile).
- Drizzle tomato slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place burgers and tomatoes on the grill. Grill the burgers to desired doneness (I typically cook both the tomatoes and burgers ~4 minutes on each side).
- Top with a slice of cheese and remove from the grill.
- Place on a burger bun, drizzle the remaining red wine reduction over the burgers, and top with a grilled tomato slice and the top bun.
Yields: 3 servings
Estimated time: 40 minutes