Yes I did.
Tequila and melted cheese. Those are like two of the greatest things ever invented. Possibly THE two greatest things. But then we have to deal with where to rank Trader Joe’s Sweet & Salty & Nutty Trek Mix and goat cheese and then we’re just gonna get bogged down in the details. Again.
So let’s not do that. Instead, let’s look for new ways to use tequila. Like in queso. (You know, because it doesn’t disappear quickly enough around here as it is.)
I spied Queso Fundido al Tequila over at The Way to His Heart and waited like a whole 5 seconds before I was pulling out the bottle of Hornitos. She he had me at tequila. (Most people do.)
I subbed in my favorite chile con queso cheese combination (it’s what your waiter really means when he says that their velvety smooth queso dip is made of Monterrey Jack) and stirred additional tequila into a double batch (go big or go home) of the dip right at the end so that enough of the flavor came through to make people exclaim, “Did you put tequila in this?!”
Yes I did.
Queso Fundido al Tequila
Chile con queso spiked with tequila.
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (veggie, olive, canola)
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno or serrano, seeds and stem removed; diced
- 5 Tbsp tequila, divided
- 12 oz white American cheese (I have the deli give me 3 slices on 10), shredded
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (don
- 1/4-2/3 cup milk (whole and 2% both work)
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Chips, for serving
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and cook the onion and pepper until softened.
- Add 3 Tbsp tequila, stir, and cook until it has nearly completely cooked away.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add the shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of the milk. Stir until mostly melted.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, salt, and additional milk until you've almost reached your desired consistency.
- Stir in the remaining tequila.
- Serve warm with chips, reheating a bit in the microwave as necessary. Leftovers will keep several days in the fridge.
Yields: ~2 cups
Estimated time: 15 minutes
Looks fantastic! I also over dice my tomatoes (that way hubby wont remove them) so mine has a orange tint. Now, I need to go grab some jalapenos and make some more. This could be a bad cycle we have here!
OMG – it looks amazing! I wish I had some .RIGHT.NOW.
Boozy queso? Yes please!
Oh you had me at tequila too!
Delicious!!! I love that it has tequila in it 🙂
Delicioso! Combinacion perfecto 😉
I truly did NOT think melted queso could get any better…and now here you are. Magical.
This looks great! It’s definitely becoming a part of my future To-Do list! 🙂
Well you had me at melted cheese and tequila also. I am making this tomorrow night now to go with the carnitas I had planned. Seriously girl this looks to die for. Thank you for this!!!
Umm, yes please. Brilliant!
Fine, twist my arm. I guess I’ll go buy some tequila and cheese now…
I wish I had a bowl of that right now! What a great idea, adding tequila!
Why not! I am usually drinking some tequila while enjoying some queso dip. Might as well combine the two. Great idea!
Girl, you know you always have me at tequila! Can’t wait to make this one.
Naturally, wherever queso makes an appearance so does tequila (at least in Austin!) so I’ll have to get a little “creative” next time I whip up a batch! This looks insane, Shawnda. A must-make!
This stuff is like crack! There is no going back to normal queso fundito now (good riddance!)
Thanks for the find, Shawnda 🙂