So remember that roasted cauliflower? You know, the healthy side dish that once actually grew in the ground? The eat-straight-from-the-pan lunch that wasn’t candy-coated or Funyuns?
This is what I did with the leftovers.
I took one of our favorite versions of carbonara, which replaces half of the pasta with plant things (this time leftover roasted cauliflower) and had an instant winner on my hands.
Honestly, there’s a little bit of bacon and there’s some Parmesan along with those glorious carbs… so anyone who declared that dish a “you don’t need to make this again” would probably be forwarding their mail at this point.
Roasted Cauliflower Carbonara
Roasted cauliflower replaces half of the pasta in this traditional carbonara.
- 2 cups (or more) roasted cauliflower*
- 8 oz pasta
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Parmesan (~3 oz), divided
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- *If you're cooking the cauliflower, put it in the oven before you start cooking the pasta.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a saute pan over high heat and add the bacon, cooking until almost completely crisped.
- Add the black pepper and, when the bacon has completely browned, remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl (big enough for mixing the entire recipe).
- Mix the eggs and 1 1/2 cups cheese together in a smaller bowl, then add to the bacon mixture, stirring to mix well.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook per package directions. Set aside 1 cup of pasta water and then drain the pasta.
- Immediately add the hot pasta and a splash or two of the hot pasta water (~2 Tbsp at a time) to the bowl, while stirring vigorously to create a creamy sauce.
- Add the cauliflower, toss to coat (adding additional water if necessary).
- Serve sprinkled with remaining cheese.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes
So are the eggs raw? I didn’t want to mess this up, sorry if this sounds like a silly question.
They are… sort of. “Undercooked.” You’re putting the just-was-boiling hot water from the pasta into the eggs and cheese to make the creamy sauce. It doesn’t taste eggy or have a weird consistency at all – very creamy.
I might be crying, this looks so good.
Oh my goodness! I want this right now! Can’t wait to try it!
It’s bedtime here, and now you’ve got me wondering when I have time to get cauliflower tomorrow. Gracious this looks good.
I went out and bought the cauliflower yesterday to make this great looking recipe. I can’t wait until tonight.
I am such a cauliflower fan and I think this looks and sounds delicious. Great idea… funyonionless and all. 🙂
This looks so yummy. Can’t wait to make.