Some people smile when they think about their Kitchenaid Stand Mixer. But me, my first love was a 6-feet tall Hobart. Sigh. The memories.
My parents used to own a bakery where I spent many a weekend in icing and glaze up to my elbows, sporting a fashionably dusty coating of flour and confectioner’s sugar. Baking is a tough job – the doors might open at 8am but the pastries have to be in the oven at 5:00 am. Nearly everyone had full-time jobs outside of the bakery so running it truly was a family affair – Mom was “the cake lady,” my sister manned the counter during the week along with my brother who worked in the back making and rolling the dough for kolaches, and Dad and I ran the place on the weekends. We had lots of goodies, but one of my favorite confections that we offered were Chocolate Chewies.
I’ve been thinking about these cookies for months, ever since I ran across our bakery recipes hidden on my old hard drive. What. A. Find. You wouldn’t know it by looking at it, but this was one chewy cookie! The glossy outer surface hid the chocolate gooey goodness inside – until that first bite. One bite and the glossy surface of the cookie fractured in every direction and the chewy insides – yum!
The original recipe yielded a mountain of cookies as you can imagine. I played with it and believe I’ve recreated the cookies as closely as possible as I can without going industrial-strength. Talk about memories 🙂
A chewy, chocolately cookie for the chocolate lover.
- 12 oz powdered sugar (by weight)
- 1 oz unsweetened cocoa (by weight)
- 1/2 oz dutch process cocoa (by weight)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 7 oz chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Turn mixer into low and add one egg white at a time (the mixture will appear very dry until the last egg white). Add vanilla and turn the mixer onto medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. The batter will be quite thick (think brownie batter). Fold in the pecans.
- Spoon the batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets (about 2-3 Tbsp) and place into the oven. Bake for 18 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool completely on baking sheet before removing.
Yields: ~12-16 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes