It’s my turn to host Project Pastry Queen! I picked a recipe that I’ve had bookmarked forever: Apple Almond Chicken Salad with Homemade Mayonnaise. That makes three savory recipes in a row that the group has cooked – I’m pretty sure that’s a record or something 🙂
Juicy rotisserie chicken (I “cheated” since I was cooking for a crowd), tart apples, crunchy nuts, and celery all pulled together with homemade mayonnaise. I can’t remember the last time I bought a jar of mayo. It’s so easy to make at home and so incredibly delicious. And it really makes this chicken salad.
We served a mountain of chicken salad on croissant at our kiddo’s 1st birthday party and I had to email the recipe to three people in the two days that followed. It was that good!
Check out the other Project Pastry Queen members to see how their chicken salad turned out.
Apple Almond Chicken Salad with Homemade Mayonnaise
Juicy rotisserie chicken, tart apples, crunchy nuts, and celery all pulled together with homemade mayonnaise.
- For the mayo
- 2 large eggs*
- 1 large egg yolk*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white (or black) pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- For the chicken salad
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apple, cored, peeled, and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup homemade mayo
- Black pepper
- Make the mayo: Blend eggs, yolk, salt, pepper, mustard, and lemon juice in a blender. Stream in the oils and blend on high until thickened. Extra mayo can be stored in a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
- Toast the almonds: Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast 7-9 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the chicken salad: In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, apple, celery, onions, and parsley, and just enough mayo to bind the chicken salad. Salt and pepper to taste. If serving, add the almonds. If making ahead of time, wait to add the almonds until just before assembling the sandwiches.
Yields: 4 sandwiches