The grilled corn and roasted poblano combo is one of our favorites. It goes into our favorite rice on Mexican night. And it goes into quesadillas on… um, Mexican night. We have a few of those a week – around here, Mexican has been the new Italian for a while 🙂
This quesadilla is more corn and poblano-centric than chicken. And that’s why it was such a big hit around here. It’s a perfect way to use up that leftover chicken thigh and a half. Or for an extra layer of flavor, try this wet rub. I used the rub when I made dinner for my family and they loved it! The frozen corn kernels are a great way to cut down on cooking time but if you’re grilling at some point during the week, throw a couple of corn cobs on the grill. The added smokiness pairs well with the sweet poblano.
Grilled Chicken, Corn and Poblano Quesadillas
Transform an ordinary chicken quesadilla with roasted poblano and grilled corn.
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (I had two grilled cobs of corn in the fridge and used those kernels)
- 8 small tortillas
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Heat the broiler. Roast the pepper 3-5 minutes on each side, until completely blackened. Place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and let steam for ~10 minutes.
- Heat your grill (or grill pan) to medium-high.
- On your work surface, set out the tortillas. Top one half of each tortilla evenly with chicken, corn, poblanos, and cheese. Fold the other half over and press down.
- Lightly spray the quesadilla with cooking spray or olive oil. Grill until the tortilla just starts to char. Flip and grill for another 1-2 minutes. Cut in half and serve warm.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes
I’m going to try making homemade tortillas for the first time next week and me thinks this will be a good match up.
My new husband is a quesadilla junkie – it’s the one bachelor food he won’t give up! No matter what I make for dinner, he’ll find a way to turn it into a quesadilla the next day. This gives me hope.
I love how quesadillas are such quick and easy dinners and can be changed up with whatever ingredients you have around. This version looks particularly tasty.
It looks delicious and SO easy! Of course, I’d try to find a way to work a few more vegetables in there but this definitely looks like a keeper for a quick meal.
This corn and poblano mixture sounds INFINITELY better than that corn, poblano, potato DISASTER I posted last week! I think I need quesadilla nights more often. I feel bereft.
Yum yum! We don’t have Mexican night enough at my house.
This dish looks delicious! I love your photos too!
I love quesadillas!!! Your photo looks edible!!!
I love how easy these look to put together. It’s great when you find a meal that is both quick and flavorful. Thanks for sharing!
Yum, sounds delicious! Now I’m hungry for dinner!!!
Quesadillas are always fun and easy to make. I like serving them with light salads. Fast, easy and nutritious. http://cuceesprouts.com/2011/05/blueberry-surprise-salad/
exactly what I’m craving right now….
I have made this a few times since finding your recipe and everyone loves it. They always look forward to quesadillas when I tell them that’s what for dinner. Both my picky eaters (my son and my hubby!) gobble these up, which is why I make them often! Thanks!
Tried this and it was amazing! We seasoned the chicken before we cooked it with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. We also used the mexican frozen corn. Great recipe!