Eggroll wrappers are an interesting substitution to cannelloni tubes. They don’t shred, split, crack, or explode while boiling. You don’t have to work around cooking the pasta by thinning the sauce out and cooking the pasta in the oven. The eggroll wrappers cook through, offer no distinctive taste (other than the fact that they absorb the wonderful cheese & garlic cream sauce), and are fabulously delicate in texture.
I made this for a potluck and had several requests for the recipe. Everytime it’s the same two things… Eggroll wrappers? Where do I find those? and Eggroll wrappers? Do they taste okay? The first question – they’ve been found in the organic case of the produce section (near the prepackaged salads) and in the ethnic section of the freezer case. Ask if you can’t find them. As for the second question, it usually gets answered with a silly remark… I can’t remember ever giving away a recipe that I thought was awful.
Eggroll wrappers replace cannelloni tubes in this rich & creamy "pasta" dish.
- 1-2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Shredded mozzarella
- 1 large egg
- 8 egg-roll wrappers
- 1 1/4 cup shredded parmesan, divided
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir. Do not let the garlic begin to sizzle.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese. Stir continuously, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Set sauce aside; stir in the salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella and egg.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream sauce (about 1 1/2 cups) in the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Spread 3 Tbsp of the ricotta mixture onto about 1/3 of the egg roll wrapper, add a few pieces of chicken and roll up to form a a cannelloni.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers and place the cannelloni, seam side down, in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the cannelloni.
- (Optional) Spoon the marinara sauce in a line across the center of the cannelloni.
- Top with parmesan and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 45 minutes