I love chocolate with just about anything. With peanut butter, with cherries, with sea salt, with caramel, and with dulce de leche. With bacon. The chocolate + mint combo doesn’t usually send me running for the kitchen but there’s just something about this time of year that temporarily wins me over.
It’s 70 degrees today but I didn’t let that get in the way of a little Christmas-inspired baking. I opened the windows, cranked up the Christmas music, and hit the kitchen to bake brownies. And if you happened to walk by my house during O Holy Night, I apologize. I don’t really have that kind of range… and I don’t really let it stop me 🙂
These bad boys consist of a chocolatey brownie that is swirled with a cheesecake mixture flavored with peppermint extract and crushed peppermint candies. It’s rich. It’s sweet. And it’s chock full of holiday spirit.
Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies
The perfect holiday treat: moist chocolate brownies swirled with peppermint cheesecake.
- For the brownies:
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- For the peppermint cheesecake swirl:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 10 peppermint candies, unwrapped and finely crushed
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray an 8- or 9-inch square pan with baking spray and set aside.
- To make the brownies, place butter and chocolate in a large bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add sugar and mix to combine.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking in between.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt, and mix just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared pan and spread the batter to cover the bottom of the pan but don't worry about it being even.
- To make the cream cheese mixture, beat cream cheese, butter, and sugar together until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, egg, and flour and mix.
- Add the peppermint extract and crushed peppermint candies to the mixture and mix until evenly distributed.
- Using a spoon or rubber spatula, create wells in the top of the brownie batter. Spoon the cheesecake mixture into the wells. Use the tip of a knife to swirl the chocolate and peppermint cheesecake together. (The two batters have slightly different consistencies so use a swirl-and-fold motion to bring the chocolate swirl to the top.)
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, ~45 minutes. Cool in pan for 30 minutes before cutting into 9-16 squares and serving.
- Leftovers will keep in a covered cake plate for 3-4 days. They can also be wrapped and frozen.
Yields: 9-16 servings
Estimated time: 1 hour 15 minutes
You are an evil genius. Pure evil.
Lloyd would love these!
The peppermint swirl in this sounds so yummy!
You have pulled together a tasty threesome here! There is not one thing I would change about these-simply delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
I’m kind of like you. I don’t usually like chocolate and mint together but Starbucks peppermint mocha in the red cup (LOVE the red cup) makes me feel full of Christmas spirit. I bet these brownies with one of those would be amazing! With Hanson’s Snowed In in the background…. yeah! I’ve just described this Saturday.
These looks delicious! Can’t wait to make a batch this Christmas season 🙂
I love, love, love chocolate and mint together and even more so this time of year. Then cheesecake and brownies I’m at a loss for words to describe how bad I need these. mmmmmm
OOO! I love all four of those things–chocolate, cheesecake, peppermint, candy canes. Perfect simple and easy dessert!
These look divine! I love chocolate and peppermint. I want to make them ASAP!
These brownies look amazing! Perfect for the holiday season. Yum!
I’ve been on a major peppermint kick lately, so these are right up my alley. I can’t wait to try them!
It is the fresh-after taste of peppermint that captures me all the time. Chocolate is an all time favorite. Cheesecake? Who doesn’t like it? This is an exciting combination! Thanks for the holiday recipe!
I loved hese cheesecake brownies! Loved this recipe… bookmarked!
The combination of peppermint and chocolate actually ALWAYS makes me come running…especially after a certain tray of grasshopper bars i made last year. Sigh.
I think it’s time for a new bar/brownie to enter my life though! These look perfectional!
Yum, I am all about the chocolate and mint combo so these are right up my alley!
I would love these!