During the summer, the main dishes on our weekly menu usually looks something like this:
– Something with roasted tomatoes because OMG SUMMER TOMATOES
– Something with pesto
– Burgers with roasted tomatoes and pesto
– Grilled protein + fruit salsa
You know, all the important food groups: tomatoes, basil, burgers, and tequila. (And possibly not in that order.)
Burger Bash is back this month at HEB, celebrating the summer staple and providing you with the inspiration and Primo Picks to get your very best burger on the table.
Me? I am here to share some grilled summer love with their Mediterranean Lamb Burger.
This burger combines ground lamb generously seasoned with mustard, garlic, cumin, and a handful of fresh herbs (mint, oregano, and parsley), a fresh, summery salad of arugula, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, and feta dressed with lemon and olive oil, all served on chewy ciabatta rolls spread with hummus. Every bite is bursting with fresh, Mediterranean flavors.
Making your very best burger relies on very few things:
1. Not over-working the uncooked ground meat. I use “the steering wheel” method to make patties: I start with a ball and with both hands, begin turning it while using light pressure from my fingers to create perfectly round, divoted on the bottom side patties in 5 seconds.
2. Not pressing down on the patties while they are cooking. Please don’t.
3. Not over-cooking the patties. Lamb can be tricky and gets a bad rap. But I know that on my grill, it’s 4 minutes on one side, 3 on the other to hit that perfectly juicy medium burger.
This recipe was developed in conjunction with H-E-B and I was provided a gift card with which to purchase ingredients. Messy fingers, stretchy-waisted pants, and future therapy bills for my child are all mine. You can find H-E-B on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. And if you’re as lucky as we are, 3 locations within a 5 mile radius. Now start grilling.
Mediterranean Lamb Burger
Juicy, grilled lamb burgers topped with a flavorful Mediterranean salad.
- For the burgers:
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried parsley (or 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint (~4 leaves)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 4 minced cloves)
- For the salad:
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 tsp crumbled feta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 6 sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted & chopped
- For serving:
- 4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half
- 4 Tbsp hummus
Preheat grill to medium?high.
While grill is heating, combine the lamb, mustard, parsley, oregano, mint, cumin, and garlic in a large bowl with a generous pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper.
Mix well and form into 4 patties.
Grill burgers, turning once, until cooked to desired doneness (~3-4 minutes a side for medium, medium-well).
Remove from grill and set aside.
In another bowl, combine feta, arugula, olive oil, lemon juice, sundried tomatoes and olives. Toss to combine.
Lightly grill ciabatta buns; spread hummus on buns.
Place 1 burger on the bottom half of the bun, add mixed greens and the bun top.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes