If there are any guarantees when going out to dinner with me, it’s that I’ll order chips & queso if it’s on the menu. And that I’ll be full before my second of three margaritas makes it to the table. (But I’ll still find room for those fajitas because I always do. And then spend the evening moaning about eating too much. Because I always do that, too.)
My favorite bowl of queso to order out is a 3-hour drive away, but we make due at home and around town. (Related: you can’t go to Austin without having a bowl of Kerbey Queso at the original Kerbey Lane Cafe.)
I made a double-batch of this Queso Fundido al Tequila for the Super Bowl because I needed leftover queso (and because it called for tequila). And let’s be honest – making a double batch is kind of the only way to ensure that there’s leftover queso when I’m involved.
And that leftover queso? Destined for eeeenchiladas. Enchiladas con queso.
I mixed up a quick filling of leftover shredded chicken from the freezer, rolled the enchiladas, spooned the leftover queso over top when they came out of the oven, and served them with a big scoop of pico de gallo. There was even a little leftover-leftover queso for chips.
And don’t forget the pico! That little bit of non-yellow/white/brown on your plate will make you feel better about your nutrition choices for the evening. I speak from experience.
Chicken Enchiladas con Queso
Quick and easy chicken enchiladas topped with chile con queso.
- For the enchiladas:
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- 10 flour tortillas
- ~1 1/2 cup of your favorite queso (this is mine)
- For the pico de gallo:
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 jalapeno or serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Stir together the ingredients for the pico de gallo in a small bowl and set aside (do not refrigerate).
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, yogurt (or sour cream), onion, cilantro, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place a large scoop in the center of each tortilla, roll, and place seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Lightly spray the enchiladas with cooking spray and then bake for 15 minutes-18 minutes, until the tortillas begin to brown.
- Heat the queso in the microwave so that it's spoonable and the spoon over the enchiladas.
- Serve hot topped with pico.
Yields: 10 enchiladas
Estimated time: 45 minutes
You are an evil genius. There’s one restaurant in my town that serves a variation on this dish, but I’d never attempted to make it at home…now I think I have to!
I’m coming over for dinner! But, you might not want me to since that means no queso will be leftover… 🙂
Leftover queso sounds like a wonderful thing to have too much of. Especially as an enchilada topping. Yum.
I am definitely going to have to try this next time I make more of the queso. Because, well there is never leftover. Love this idea though 🙂
Love love LOVE enchiladas with queso rather than enchilada sauce! Why I never thought to make them like that at home I’ll never know. And randomly enough, I’ve totally been craving enchiladas lately!
My only qualm with enchilads is that they aren’t covered in queso. So, essentially, you are my hero – again!
ughhh yum. i want this so bad right now.!!!
I am a huge fan of chips and queso too. Addictive! I am sure these enchiladas would be addictive too 😉
I love cheese covered enchiladas. Looks amazing.
These look beautiful…and I love any excuse to drench something in cheeeeeese 🙂
Oh my goodness I am a Mexican food aholic too and these Chicken Enchiladas con Queso look amazing!
Every time you mention that queso, I kick myself for not having made it yet! Looks like an awesome way to put the extra to use.
Ok, definitely drooling over here. Love that you used Greek yogurt in the filling, too! These look amazing, Shawnda!
Mouth-watering! I’m definitely trying this out over the weekend!!
YUM!! Kind of in love with this right now. I am a huge fan of all things Mexican, and this just looks heavenly!
OMG, I adore Kerbey Queso! It is quite amazing 🙂 A bunch of my college friends and I would always share an order while there. Never lasted long!