‘Tis the season! Pie for breakfast. Pie for lunch. Pie after lunch. Pie before dinner. OMG how is there still so much pie left?!
More than once during the holidays, in place of pie-for-breakfast, we usually whip up our favorite version of Eggs Benedict – homemade buttermilk biscuits topped with crispy bacon, eggs, and Bearnaise sauce. Sometimes there’s something green thrown onto the plate for good measure, but the closer to the end of the year we get… nah.
It’s truly an indulgent breakfast worthy of the indulgent, ribbon-topped chaos of the holidays.
But it was by no means the most indulgent breakfast this season. That title, my friends, is reserved for these waffles.
The team behind Private Selection sent me a pack of their new Finishing Butters to play around with this month. Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Roasted Garlic & Herbs, Honey… But my heart skipped a beat when I saw the Caramel Sea Salt butter. Nothing non-tequila stops me in my tracks like the promise of sweet and salty caramel baked-in, drizzled-over, or spooned straight from the jar. Nothing.
We whipped up a batch of waffles using the Caramel Sea Salt butter in the batter, topped those waffles with some diced apples, and then drizzled the whole thing in caramel sauce.
It was almost pie for breakfast. But way better.
Private Selection has provided a set of their fantastic Finishing Butters and a $100 Gift Card to one lucky reader!
To enter the giveaway, simply answer this question in the comments below: What was the best-worst, most indulgent thing you’ve had for breakfast this season?
Update: The winner is Karen’s Homemade flapjacks with lots of butter and cinnamon vanilla sugar at comment #43. Please check your email on how to claim your prize!
And for a bonus entry, leave a separate comment below that you like Private Selection on Facebook!
Salted Caramel Apple Waffles
Fluffy waffles flavored with Caramel Sea Salt butter.
- For the waffles:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 3.5 oz container Caramel Sea Salt butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For serving:
- Honeycrisp and Granny Smith Apples, diced
- Caramel sauce (purchased or homemade)
- Heat your waffle iron.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and brown sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl and fold in until incorporated.
- Cook the waffle batter to desired brownness and serve hot, topped with diced apples and warmed caramel sauce.
Yields: 12 waffles
Estimated time: 25 minutes
The fine print:
– Maximum 2 entries per email person.
– Giveaway ends at 12:01am (Texas time!) on Jan 2nd.
– Winner will be selected by one of those cold, soulless, unfeeling random number generator thingies and announced on this post.
– Winners will receive a 6-pk of Private Selection Finishing Butters and a $100 Gift Card to a Private Selection retailer (maximum retail value of prize = $100).
– Prize must be claimed within 7 days or it will be forfeited.
– Prize can only be shipped to a US address.
– Prizes are provided by Private Selection.
– Official giveaway rules can be found here.