It can be tough to find a healthy side at the many holiday dinners that we attend. Over the last couple of years, I’ve made it a sort of tradition to show up with the one healthy side that almost no one else wants to eat.
There is always broccoli… baked in a vat of Velveeta and rice. Sweet potatoes buried under a mountain of toasted marshmallows. And even though my immediate family didn’t participate in the tradition that is green bean casserole, I do run into it other places. Not a fan, I tell you. Not a fan.
So my “naked” green veggies show up on a small platter as a small treasure to the 1 or 2 others that are looking to get through the day a little lighter. They’re roasted just until fork tender but still firm. The lemon makes a light, bright addition next to a plate full of heavier sides. And after a nice helping of green beans, you’ve got an excuse to have a second slice of pie
Roasted Green Beans
A light & healthy side dish, green beans roasted with citrus.
- 1lb green beans
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat the olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic over medium heat until the garlic browns.
- Turn off the heat and remove the garlic with a slotted spoon.
- Add green beans to the pan, toss to coat, and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Toss with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve garnished with lemon zest.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 20 minutes