Can we pretend that I just didn’t use the word “stew?” Because half of the adults in this house turn a sickly shade of green at the very mention of the word.
I’ll admit, it’s not the most appetizing word. And maybe it doesn’t always conjure up the most appetizing images. But contrary to what my husband thinks, there is a such thing as good stew. A hearty beef stew and a glass of red wine is not a shabby way to end a cold and grey winter day.
Only we don’t call it “stew” in this house, because my husband won’t eat “Italian beef stew.” But he’ll polish off a second helping of “Italian beef in the crockpot.”
But what’s in a name anyway, right?
Crockpot Italian Beef Stew
A hearty beef stew made in your crockpot/slow cooker.
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil, divided
- 2 lb beef round roast
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces (split in half if they
- 8 oz red potatoes, skin-on, quartered
- 1 14.5 oz can reduced-fat/sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 sprigs each thyme, and oregano (or 1/2-1 tsp each dried)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large pan over high heat until very hot.
- Cut roast into 2-inch chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half of the meat to the pan, searing for 1-2 minutes, until nicely browned, before flipping or stirring.
- Sear for another 2 minutes and use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to the crock.
- Repeat for remaining meat.
- Add onion, potatoes, carrots to the crock pot.
- Add the chicken broth, wine, and tomato paste (I dropped it in by the spoonful and let it distribute while cooking).
- Top with garlic and herbs.
- Cook on low for ~8 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove 1/4 cup cooking liquid and whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir slurry into the crockpot, cover, and let cook for ~20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and serve.
Yields: 6 servings
Estimated time: 8 hours 30 minutes
Calories: 351 | Fat: 6.6g | Fiber 3.9g | Protein 47.7g | Carbs 21.1g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 8