Can we pretend that I just didn’t use the word “stew?” Because half of the adults in this house turn a sickly shade of green at the very mention of the word.
I’ll admit, it’s not the most appetizing word. And maybe it doesn’t always conjure up the most appetizing images. But contrary to what my husband thinks, there is a such thing as good stew. A hearty beef stew and a glass of red wine is not a shabby way to end a cold and grey winter day.
Only we don’t call it “stew” in this house, because my husband won’t eat “Italian beef stew.” But he’ll polish off a second helping of “Italian beef in the crockpot.”
But what’s in a name anyway, right?
Crockpot Italian Beef Stew
A hearty beef stew made in your crockpot/slow cooker.
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil, divided
- 2 lb beef round roast
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces (split in half if they
- 8 oz red potatoes, skin-on, quartered
- 1 14.5 oz can reduced-fat/sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 sprigs each thyme, and oregano (or 1/2-1 tsp each dried)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large pan over high heat until very hot.
- Cut roast into 2-inch chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half of the meat to the pan, searing for 1-2 minutes, until nicely browned, before flipping or stirring.
- Sear for another 2 minutes and use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to the crock.
- Repeat for remaining meat.
- Add onion, potatoes, carrots to the crock pot.
- Add the chicken broth, wine, and tomato paste (I dropped it in by the spoonful and let it distribute while cooking).
- Top with garlic and herbs.
- Cook on low for ~8 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove 1/4 cup cooking liquid and whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir slurry into the crockpot, cover, and let cook for ~20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and serve.
Yields: 6 servings
Estimated time: 8 hours 30 minutes
Calories: 351 | Fat: 6.6g | Fiber 3.9g | Protein 47.7g | Carbs 21.1g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 8
How funny, I’ve never thought the word “stew” was unappealing. But this “crockpot beef” looks wonderful 😉
This would be perfect for Superbowl! Just set it and walk away!
…and so much more classy than chili. 🙂
p.s…not that I don’t love chili. I totally do. Stew is just classier.
Beautiful colors in your “crockpot beef!” How funny your husband finds the dish unappealing if it is called “stew.” Thanks for amusement this morning 🙂
This looks yummy! And thanks for including the WW points!
hahahah that’s a funny husband quirk. 🙂 Your stew looks amaaaazing, and I definitely want some for dinner tonight! YES to that glass of wine, too!
This is perfect for a cold snowy day. I love that it’s in the crockpot!
My brother ALSO won’t eat stew…I have no idea what’s wrong with him. i’m gonna go with your naming plan…I’m sure he’ll love it.
I’m laughing so hard right now at this post. I think our husbands are in some sort of brotherhood. I call it Beef Italienne and he eats it just fine. Call it stew and he says, “you know I hate stew!”
Men! Just don’t tell him because I love stew.
Looks good – I think you’re husband has it backwards, the word crockpot conjurs up images of undecipherable foods mushed together for me (yes I have and use a crockpot but come on, there’s some funky stuff people do with those!).
I love red wine in beef stew. This looks absolutely delicious!
You see, when I hear “stew” I just think “comfort food.” So I’m definitely going to have to make this, and I’ll call it stew 🙂
This stew is definitely a heart and soul warmer. It looks very comforting and delicious!
LOL at your husband right now. 🙂 It’s OK, some people just have an aversion to certain words. I get it.
This “Italian beef in the crockpot” sounds so comforting and delicious!
Ha! I thought my husband was the only one that turned his nose up at stew. Your’s looks beautiful!
this look absolutely perfect! i never really gave much thought to the word stew… it seemed fine to me. until now 😉
Made this tonight and it was awesome. Thanks for sharing.
I made this last night with the addition of a can of Italian diced tomatoes. So delicious! Great spin on traditional beef stew.
Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!
I have this in the crock pot today while I’m at work and I cannot wait to get home and try it!
I have to add how amazingly delicious this is!! We absolutely loved it!
I would LOVE to make this as-is, but have an eater who is allergic to tomatoes. What would you suggest as an alternate/substitution to the tomato paste?
I made this last night, with some slight preferential modifications and it was delicious. My Love does not enjoy beef stew but she very much enjoyed this version. Thank you for posting!
Please adopt me. I’ll eat your stew or anything else you make as long as it isn’t liver or eggs. And will ALWAYS be grateful and compliment your efforts. <3
(from someone who hates to cook but is going to try your recipe!)