Let’s save us all some time and back up a sec: Hi. I’m Shawnda. And I name my hamburgers.
And this one I call The Southern. I could think of no name more perfect for a burger topped with melty pimento cheese and a fried green tomato.
Except for maybe “Pimento Cheeseburger with Fried Green Tomatoes.”
It is definitely looks like one of the more indulgent ways to consume a burger but it’s really not as terrible as it sounds. We keep the breading very thin and light on the tomatoes and fry in the smallest amount of oil possible – just enough to keep the tomatoes from sticking to the pan. An oil mister and a non-stick pan are your best friends!
And the pimento cheese is… well that’s cheese, more cheese, and mayo. At least the tomatoes aren’t terrible 🙂
The Southern Burger
Juicy grilled burgers topped with two southern favorites: pimento cheese and fried green tomatoes.
- For the burgers
- 4 burger buns
- 4 ground beef patties (~1/3 lb each)
- 1/2 cup Pimento cheese
- For the fried green tomatoes:
- 2-3 green tomatoes, sliced ~1/3-inch thick
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- Olive or vegetable oil, for frying (mister recommended)
- Heat your grill to high.
- To make the tomatoes, heat a non stick pan sprayed with oil over medium high heat.
- Add flour, cornmeal, a pinch of salt and pepper to a ziptop bag and shake to mix well.
- Add tomato slices and shake to coat.
- Fry tomato slices in batches until golden brown on each side. (Add additional oil between batches.)
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate until ready to assemble burgers.
- Each side of the hamburger patties should get a dash of Worcestershire and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties to desired doneness.
- Before removing them from the grill, top each with ~2 Tbsp of pimento cheese and let cook 1 minute more to melt the cheese.
- To assemble the burger, top the bottom bun with the cooked burger, fried green tomato slices, lettuce, and any condiments of choice.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes
OMG, this looks incredibly insane! I could make a sandwich out of the melty pimento cheese and fried green tomatoes. What a great representation of the south in burger form!
Oh, WOW! Seriously mouthwatering!
OMG, I want to jump through my screen and take a huge bite! This looks absolutely delicious and I’m sure my husband would be a huge fan as well (he’s a burger freak!).
Believe it or not I just tried my first fried green tomatoes last weekend. I want more where that came from!
Oh my stars. Heaven incarnate on a plate.
One of my favorite barbeque places (chain division) has a burger like this (no fried green tomato, just a regular one), and it is FANTASTIC.
I will say that I was a little disappointed upon reading; I got very excited when I first saw the picture, thinking that the tomato was a fried dill pickle. But now I just have to thank you for the inspiration!
I canNOT get my husband to understand the beauty of fried dill pickles, dipped in ranch. But those would make fabulous, fabulous burger toppings. So thank *you* 🙂
I can’t say I’d thought of it before reading this, but I desperately want fried green tomatoes on a burger now. Oh dear! So good!
I have some green zebras screaming for me to fry them and put on a burger. I bow to your greatness!
This burger is genius. You should totally open up your own burger joint already!! 😉
Oh lord I thought those were fried pickles!
Pimento cheese is the only southern way girl!
Is it officially fried green tomato season yet?!?!? Cause this is kinda making me want to put them on everything now!
Oh my. This is heaven on a plate….thank you Shawnda!!!!!!
Holy smokes! This hamburger is definitely going on my to-be-cooked list! The name The Southern is perfect! I kinda wanna eat it right now or lick my screen…but I won’t. I didn’t, I swear! But I thought about it. A lot.
You and Annie (AnniesEats.com) must be on the same wavelength!
Oh holy, good gracious, mother of . . .!!! Pimento cheese AND a fried green tomato? This has got to be like the most brilliant idea ever!
This looks delicious – I love pimento cheese, but I’ve never thought to put it on a burger!
That is one tasty looking burger!
Good grief Charlie Brown my mouth is watering….
For the love of all things, this looks outta control amazing!
Oh my that was delicious! My first time eating fried green tomatoes.. highly impressed.
OMG, heart stopper, oh well, go happy
I think I’m in love! This is my first visit to your site and I’m actually salivating!! Now if I could only find green tomatoes in Seattle!