Let’s save us all some time and back up a sec: Hi. I’m Shawnda. And I name my hamburgers.
And this one I call The Southern. I could think of no name more perfect for a burger topped with melty pimento cheese and a fried green tomato.
Except for maybe “Pimento Cheeseburger with Fried Green Tomatoes.”
It is definitely looks like one of the more indulgent ways to consume a burger but it’s really not as terrible as it sounds. We keep the breading very thin and light on the tomatoes and fry in the smallest amount of oil possible – just enough to keep the tomatoes from sticking to the pan. An oil mister and a non-stick pan are your best friends!
And the pimento cheese is… well that’s cheese, more cheese, and mayo. At least the tomatoes aren’t terrible 🙂
The Southern Burger
Juicy grilled burgers topped with two southern favorites: pimento cheese and fried green tomatoes.
- For the burgers
- 4 burger buns
- 4 ground beef patties (~1/3 lb each)
- 1/2 cup Pimento cheese
- For the fried green tomatoes:
- 2-3 green tomatoes, sliced ~1/3-inch thick
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- Olive or vegetable oil, for frying (mister recommended)
- Heat your grill to high.
- To make the tomatoes, heat a non stick pan sprayed with oil over medium high heat.
- Add flour, cornmeal, a pinch of salt and pepper to a ziptop bag and shake to mix well.
- Add tomato slices and shake to coat.
- Fry tomato slices in batches until golden brown on each side. (Add additional oil between batches.)
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate until ready to assemble burgers.
- Each side of the hamburger patties should get a dash of Worcestershire and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties to desired doneness.
- Before removing them from the grill, top each with ~2 Tbsp of pimento cheese and let cook 1 minute more to melt the cheese.
- To assemble the burger, top the bottom bun with the cooked burger, fried green tomato slices, lettuce, and any condiments of choice.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes