I had a hummus sandwich for lunch. Again. Half a whole wheat pita, with the inside pocket slathered with a healthy dollup of hummus.
This recipe combines my two current addictions: kalamata olives and hummus and pita. Okay, that’s three. So I’m not the math geek in the relationship.
Kalamata Olive Hummus
A smooth hummus for the kalamata olive fan.
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup kalamata olives, pits removed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- Combine the lemon juice and water in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the Tahini and olive oil together until smooth.
- Process the chickpeas, olives, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in a food processor until almost fully ground. Scrape down the bowl.
- With the food processor running, stream in the lemon and water and process for one minute. Scrape down the bowl again.
- Turn the food processor on and stream in the Tahini and oil mixture and process until smooth, about another minute.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for an hour to let flavors blend.
- Eat with fresh pita, cucumber, crackers, red bell pepper strips, or a spoon. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 days (if it lasts that long!).
Yields: ~2 1/2 cups
Estimated time: 10 minutes
Perfect timing! I just noticed yesterday that I have 4 containers of olives in my fridge (I am deathly afraid of being olive-less).
INCREDIBLE hummus variety!!
I love artichoke hummus. But I have to try this one as I love black olives just as much. Hummus rarely lasts long in my house.
I Love kalamata olives! Looks delicious!
I think this olive hummus sounds and looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it soon!
The hummus looks great!
Yum! And such a beautiful picture.
It was one of your hummus recipes that converted me (and now my husband!) to never never again buying the stuff, because, oh my, the homemade stuff is just.so.good. And now, now you bring this to us . . . . olives and hummus! Yum.
My favorite is to cut pitas into wedges, spray them with baking spray and dust them with garlic powder and cumin, broil a few minutes till crisp–homemade pita chips, worthy of spectacular homemade hummus!
DAMN love this one – You are combining a couple of my favorites – This looks great and I have some lonely pita chips just crying out for a friend!!!
I’m not the biggest fan of olives but I love hummus and this looks great. Nice and creamy. I’ll have to try this one too. Thanks
This looks simply scrumptious! I am obsessed with both olives AND hummus… and now you tell me I can combine them?!
I made this tonight, my second recipe from this site, and it was amazing! We had containers of store bought garlic hummus and red pepper hummus and this put them to shame. I actually felt sorry for people who have to eat store bought hummus after tasting this. Best recipe ever, you are two for two great recipes!
I made this today. It had a good initial taste, but left a bit of an unpleasant after taste. Any ideas?