Grilling okra is perhaps the simplest way to prepare one of the weirder members of the vegetable kingdom. The insides are moist (but not slimy) and the outsides get a little crispy, giving you a bit of that fried okra crunch infused with smokiness from the grill. Without all the hassle and the grease of fried okra.
And the best part, your house doesn’t smell like you fried a pair of old running shoes.
We paired those crispy, smokey okra pods with some Jalapeno-Cilantro Ranch Dressing as a dipper. You cannot go wrong with ranch dressing and you certainly cannot go wrong with ranch that has been dressed up with jalapeno, lime, and cilantro.
It’s important to use small pods, 4-inches and less. Large okra pods are tough and stringy and not fit for grilling (or buying) – have you ever imagined what it would be like to grill burlap? Even the ranch won’t help. The original recipe recommended pods that were 2 inches or less which, unless you grow okra, is actually a pretty unreasonable requirement. I found the shorter pods up to ~4 inches came out fine.
Okra pods get a summer makeover on the grill with this simple recipe.
- Okra pods, up to ~4 inches long
- Olive oil
- Jalapeno-Cilantro Ranch Dressing (optional)
- Heat your grill to high.
- Using a paring knife, cut the okra pods in half, lengthwise, leaving the pods connected at the top near the stem.
- Lightly spray or drizzle with olive oil and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place over direct heat on the grill ~4 minutes, rotating and cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pull off the grill and serve hot with your favorite ranch dressing dipper on the side.
Yields: Servings vary
Estimated time: 20 minutes
I love grilled okra! Your recipe looks fabulous 🙂
Mmmm…this sounds WONDERFUL, especially with that ranch dressing!!!
I kinda sorta love okra even when its slimy. But I bet I’d love it MORE when its smoky and grilled!
This is awesome. I looooove okra, but Tom does not share my love for it, because of the whole slimy thing. Pretty sure he’d eat these.
Mmm, this reminds me of my trip to Ghana!
Great recipe! Try grilled okra with lemon juice-Delicious and staying on that healthy train!
Has anyone tried frozen okra?