I go through phases where I like to eat the same thing over and over. Right now, it’s artichoke pesto (yum!) but before we moved, it was Eggs in Purgatory. It was the perfect breakfast and lunch, everyday for about 2 weeks.
Eggs simmered in a simple, spicy tomato sauce. That’s it. It’s that easy. And it’s that delicious. I simmer the eggs just long enough to cook the whites but keep the yolks runny. The yolk makes for a rich addition to the spicy tomato sauce. And I think I’ve just talked myself into making this for breakfast tomorrow 🙂
Eggs in Purgatory
Eggs simmered in a simple, spicy tomato sauce. It makes the perfect breakfast .
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white or yellow onions
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- Chopped fresh basil, for serving
- Grated parmesan, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions, red pepper, and a generous amount of black pepper and cook until the onions have softened.
- Add garlic and cook until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Using a spoon make a well in the tomato sauce and crack an egg into the well.
- Repeat for the other 3 eggs.
- Cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes for set whites and runny yolks (cook longer for set yolks).
Yields: 4 Servings
Estimated time: 15 minutes
Calories: 141.8 | Fat: 8.8 | Fiber 2.1
WW Points: 3
I think I know what we’re having for brunch this weekend! This looks amazing; thanks for the recipe.
Gah. You just made my bowl of oatmeal feel inadequate. It’s going to need therapy 🙁
I can’t wait to try this!
This looks so good. Wonder what it would be like wrapped up in a flour tortilla.
Huh! This is intriguing and sounds delicious!
Oh my. These looking drooling good. Always looking for new a different ways to cook eggs since we have a backyard full of laying chickens. Thank you
Mmm these eggs look SO amazing.
I’d love for you to submit some of your beautiful photos, and a link to your posts, to my vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian/vegan dishes on the web.
I’m not usually a pork person, if you look at my blog its mainly beef and chicken that I’m cooking, but these look really yummy! I like the name too!
This is delicious! I just made it for breakfast and my husband and I both thought enjoyed it! He added some shredded mozzarella to the top of his. Thanks for sharing, I have a feeling I will be making this often!
This sounds like shakshuka which we love! Mmm I think I’ll have to make this ASAP.
MMMM! Im glad to see someone else enjoying the egg/tomato combo! My grandmother swore that eggs were a very essential part of her spaghetti sauce. Most people think this sounds nuts.
I made this for dinner the other night. Oh my word, I will totally be making this again. Thanks so much for this and all of the fantastic recipes you post. I <3 your blog.
I’m literally making these right now! Waiting for the eggs to cook. Yummy dinner for two!
i made this and this meal is so delicious… thank you so much! 😀 healthy too . mMmm
Looks delicious. I will try this recipe.
Omgness! I have GOT to try this! I bet it would be fabulous topped with some mozzarella or a shaved romano.