Brie is one of my go-to appetizers during the holidays. It’s easily thrown together and since it’s wrapped in the buttery, flaky goodness that is puff pastry, it’s always a huge hit. It’s super versatile – you can use just about anything: fruit preserves, nuts, caramelized onions, cranberry sauce. None of those or all of those. I usually serve it on a platter with grapes, crackers, and prosciutto.
The only thing you have to watch out for is making sure you crimp/pinch the puff pastry together really well so you don’t get leaky cheese running everywhere. Just in case I missed something, I always bake it in a baking dish just slightly larger than the brie wheel – if there are any leaks, it’s contained.
Cranberry-Apple Brie en Croute
My all-time favorite holiday appetizer: creamy brie, flaky puffed pastry, and tangy cranberry sauce.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange cran-apple sauce
- 1 small wheel of brie
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425. Heat olive oil in a pan and cook onions over low heat until caramelized (15-20 minutes).
- ay puff pastry sheet flat on a lightly floured surface. Slice the wheel of brie in half horizontally. Place the bottom half of the brie in the center of the dough.
- Spoon the cranberry sauce onto the brie and spread it evenly, to the edges.
- Top with the other half of brie and spoon the onions on top.
- Gather the puff pastry around the brie, pinching the edges to seal against leaks.
- Whisk the egg with 1 Tbsp of water and brush over the dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
Yields: ~16 appetizer servings
Estimated time: 45 minutes
this looks super yummy. Perfect for my book club get together at the end of january!
This looks so special!
i’ve always wanted to make a brie en croute… this looks really great!
I assume the onions go in with the cranberry sauce?
Wow! What a beautiful brie! How festive!
This brie is perfect for the holidays. Thanks for the recipe!
This looks great! The orange cran-apple sauce sounds delicious!