Asparagus are one of my favorite vegetables. I eat them in exactly two ways: roasted simply with olive oil, salt, and pepper or cold, tossed with lemon juice and goat cheese.
When it gets cold, we seem to indulge in heartier, unhealthier comfort foods by habit. Creamy soups, butter-laden pastas, and meaty chilis. What I love about this soup is that it’s deceptively healthy. The soup itself is very light. But the creamy, melty dollop of goat cheese in the middle of the bowl makes it feel far more indulgent than it really is.
Asparagus Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese
Fresh asparagus Soup with tangy herbed Goat Cheese.
- 4 oz goat cheese, softened
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- small handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 green onions, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1 bunch (12-16 oz) asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups reduced-fat chicken stock/broth
- Mix goat cheese, half of the lemon juice, chives, half of the parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop to form 4 rounds of goat cheese.
- Place on oiled parchment and stick in the freezer to harden.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook garlic and onions until onions are softened (do not let garlic brown).
- Add asparagus and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer until asparagus has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a standard blender and puree.
- Stir in remaining lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon soup into bowls, serve garnished with remaining parsley and herbed goat cheese rounds.
Yields: 4 servings
Oooohh what an interesting combination! Have to try! Thanks =p
i love creamy veggie soups that are surprisingly healthy like this, yum!
The perfect recipe to try out my new immersion blender!
I loooove the idea for this soup! Can’t wait to make it soon!
i’ve been on a soup kick for a while now–it’s really the only thing that will warm me. need to start posting them.
this, is a FABULOUS combo!
That soup does look delicious and not unhealthy – a little bit of goat cheese is good for you!
A creamy soup with no cream, I love it! Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies too. I like to eat them steamed with a light mustard vinaigrette.
As I am not a huge goat cheese fan, can you substitute mascarpone cheese instead?
@Beth, I bet mascarpone cheese would be awesome!
@foodiebride, I was curious because of the lemon juice mixed with the cheese. Being that goat cheese is more bitter and mascarpone is sweeter, I was wondering if it would clash.
Hello! I love your blog & have added you to my beautiful blog roll & used one of your photos from this post. Here’s a link to it my blog roll. I hope you don’t mind being added in! http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page.html