I’m fond of edible-ware: biscotti spoons for Nutella or ice cream, tortilla bowls with taco salad, chocolate-dipped waffle cones for ice cream, and bread bowls full of soup – there are less dishes to clean afterwards!
Frico, a baked parmesan crisp, is like a super fast-drying play-dough for the kitchen. Fresh out of the oven, the frico are very pliable. For those precious 15 seconds, you can wrap the frico around asparagus stalks, shape into bowls or cones, or just allow to cool and harden into flat disks for garnishing.
Parmesan cheese baked into crispy salad bowls.
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated or shredded
- pinch of black pepper (optional)*
- Toss cheese with black pepper, if using, and drop into 4 equal mounds on a baking sheet lined with a silpat mat.
- Using a spoon or your hand, pat the mound of cheese and spread into a circle until it reaches 4.5 to 5.5 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown.
- If molding the crisps, remove the frico one at a time from the oven and immediately wrap/mold into the desired shape.
- For the Caesar bowl, I offset the frico on the top of a 6oz Ramekin and used my 1/4 cup measuing cup to gently press the frico into a bowl shape. Once cooled, I filled the frico with a Caesar salad.
- If not molding the frico, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
Yields: 6 servings
Estimated time: 20 minutes
I made these before!! I put macaroni and cheese in the middle of them. They are so easy, so good and look awesome. I love yours.
These are great hey? I like them as little discs on the top of soups.
“IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m fond of edible-ware…”
OH MY GOD! Here is a great idea! Start “Edi-ware” parties in people’s homes. It would be like a Tupperware party, but without all the annoying plastic burping and it would be waayyy more tasty. I’ll be the first to sign up.
Kevin, I’m crying. So very hard. Forget LOLs, that got a Bah-hahahahaha 🙂
That sounds so fun! I love that idea.
So simple, so fun and edible…what more can you ask for!
Oh, and you answeres a question – one IS supposed to eat the bread “bowl” with the soup. I’ve always had visions of eating more bread than soup and ….well, you can guess!
I have never made this, but you can bet I will be soon. Delicious idea!