One of our kiddo’s favorite treats are graham crackers. They’re easy to make and they don’t contain anything we don’t want them to.
I went through a couple of recipes before landing on this one. These crackers are crispier and firmer than the boxed variety. And they have a much more pronounced honey flavor. They were my favorite. And definitely hers.
They also make a more wholesome S’mores. Because when you’re toasting marshmallows and chopping a chocolate bar, “wholesome” is the first thing on your mind, right 🙂
The batches are pretty generous for a toddler snack so I only have to make the dough once a month. After the dough chills, I divide it into fourths. I bake one batch of crackers and freeze the other 3 portions of dough. I get ~8 crackers per batch and the crackers last about a week in a zipper bag after baking.
Honey Graham Crackers
Crispy homemade honey graham crackers, a perfect snack for adults and kids alike.
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 egg
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a mixer cream together the butter and sugar. Add the honey and molasses and mix until incorporated.
- Add the egg and mix for another minute.
- Turn the mixer to low and add half the dry ingredients and mix. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until the flour is just combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Wrap up three of them and store in the freezer.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to desired thickness (I roll them pretty thin, they'll puff just a little in the oven.
- Cut into squares or rectangles and transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet. (Use a knife to create break-apart indentions and a fork to create the holes seen on graham crackers.)
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet and then transfer to airtight storage.
Yields: 32 crackers
Estimated time: 5 hours