“Wow. These are almost too pretty to eat.” Yet somehow we managed to eat nearly all of them over the course of the evening.
I’d never actually heard of sliders before the September copy of Bon Appetit. In a few words, they’re a pretty version of man food. Red meat, pasta sauce, and bread – I really love finding new things that I know my husband will like. And the other bonus – they’re composed of such basic ingredients that I had everything but the rolls on hand.
The sliders on the cover of Bon Appetit looked terrific. The meatball recipe inside looked… pretty bland but that’s easy enough to fix. I paired the meatballs with a Parmesan cheese roll for a little extra flavor. The sliders look fun and present nicely. This particular version will make a great addition to our Italian dinner party appetizers.
Meatball Sliders with Parmesan Rolls
Italian-style sliders made with juicy meatballs.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmiggiano-Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Parmesan Cheese rolls
- 1 1/2 cup Marinara sauce
- Whole basil leaves
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Mix remaining ingredients (through garlic) by hand in large bowl until just combined.
- Form into meatballs (I got 18) and place into pan in two batches. Brown on all sides and remove from pan when cooked through.
- Heat a new pan over medium-high heat.
- Slice the rolls in half and spread a small amount of butter onto the cut sides. Place buttered-side down and cook until golden brown.
- Simmer marinara sauce in a small sauce pan.
- Assemble the sliders from the bottom up: Spread a spoonful of marinara onto the parmesan roll, top with a basil leaf, meatball, and roll top.
Yields: 18 sliders
Estimated time: 30 minutes
Mini anything is divine!
I have never made sliders before, but they are on my “to-try” list. Yours look so good!! Especially on those little Parmesan Cheese Rolls!
Awww. Nearly too cute to eat! (I would eat ’em anyway, but they’re almost too cute…)
I Love the basil leaf as a green. Nice touch!
Just found your site through the Foodie Blogroll. I love your pictures and the food you make. 🙂 You’re the second person I’ve seen in as many days who’s made Nigella’s carbonara and raved about it so I think I’ll have to give it a whirl. Up until now I’ve been a loyal Lidia fan in that regard but my husband says he wants a creamier carbonara and I have a feeling Nigella will deliver.
What a great little appetizer! Thanks!
I haven’t had sliders in years….thanks for the reminder. Perfect for a winter afternoon have the gang over to watch football food.
these look so great! ridiculously cute. i can’t wait to try them!
Girly food! I love it!