It’s Mexican night, yet we very likely joined frat houses and bachelors across the country by having pizza and guacamole for dinner. It was as awesome as it sounds. But not as ordinary.
Spicy and citrusy shrimp paired with black beans and smokey grilled corn. I’ll admit, it is an unusual combination for pizza but it’s a tasty one. The guacamole was far more traditional. This dish actually came together really fast. I had leftover pizza dough (I always make a double-batch) and slapped a corn cob on the grill while I was getting everything else ready.
Who says you can’t have pizza on Mexican night?
Shrimp, Black Bean, and Grilled Corn Pizza
Smokey grilled corn, black beans, and spicy shrimp make Mexican night a pizza night.
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1/2 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 ear of corn, grilled, and kernels removed
- 4 oz Manchego, grated
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack, grated
- Small handful cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Toss shrimp with lime juice and add chile powder, cumin, coriander, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high and add garlic, cooking for about a minute.
- Add shrimp and cook 3-5 minutes, until pink and mostly opaque.
- Shape ball of pizza dough into a 12-14" round.
- Sprinkle cheese over the crust, leaving the edges bare.
- Toss beans, red bell pepper, and corn together and then sprinkle evenly over the pizza.
- Bake 5-7 minutes, until pizza is bubbly and the edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro, and let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Yields: 8 slices
Estimated time: 30 minutes
One night a week dedicated to pizza is not enough to try all the pizza posts that I’ve seen around the blogoshere. I wonder if there is such a thing as a bad pizza topping combination…I’m sure not this recipe.
Looks wonderful! last night I was trying to decide how I wanted to eat our Mexican.. I went with enchiladas, but have tons of filling left over, so I was thinking of making a pizza with it! Ding, ding, ding!
I love this combination! I might even be tempted to dip this pizza in guac:-)
Ooooh yes. I want this!!
Whoa! I could eat the name of this pizza. It’s gotta be wonderful.
wow, what a fabulous idea!
Wow…I could seriously nom all over that! nomnomnom
Love the interesting flavors! This pizza looks so colorful and beautiful!
WHOA! That pizza looks amazing! I just love the idea of a Mexican-style pizza. Mexican food beats Italian anyday, in my humble opinion. 😉
Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This pizza reminds me of something I used to get all the time at California Pizza Kitchen when I worked there in high school. Black beans on pizza = heaven!
I just made this for dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing!