I kicked off a recent Bake-a-Thon with a recipe borrowed from a recent issue of Bon Appetit: “Brownie Thins.” The recipe and methodology resemble that of a brownie recipe so it only would make sense that the batter and finished product would taste like brownies, right? That didn’t stop me from jumping up and down and squealing like a little girl when sampling the cooled cookies.
“You gotta try these! They taste just like a brownie!!” I was excited. And very, very tired 🙂
Thin cookies that taste just like brownies.
- 12 Tbsp (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp + 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Nonstick vegetable oil or baking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- Position rack in lowest third of oven; preheat to 350F. Butter 2 baking sheets. Place butter and chocolate in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium-high power until almost completely melted, about 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Add sugar and egg; whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Add flour, both extracts, and salt; stir just to blend. Let batter stand 10 minutes.
- Drop batter in 1 Tbsp balls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches or so apart.
- Spray sheet of plastic wrap lightly with nonstick spray. Place, sprayed side down, over cookies.
- Lay a cutting board on top of the plastic board and press down in the center, creating a 4-inch round for each cookie.
- Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle pistachios over rounds.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until slightly darker at edges and firm in center, about 14 minutes.
- Cool on sheet 4 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack; cool completely. Can be stored airtight for 5 days at room temperature.
Yields: 24 cookies
Estimated time: 40 minutes
oh, yum, these look fantastic!
So what you’re saying is…..if I like brownies….I should like these? 🙂
I made these the other day and thought they were too thin.. very good taste but they are waffers really, and I like mu cookies to have more heft to em. But you are right they do taste just like a brownie..
Have you ever made chocolate whoppers? now those are very brownie like and its aALOT of cookie goin on there.
I have made these. I crush them up and use them as a cheesecake base. Good stuff.
woweee! These look good I may have to try them! munch munch mmmm!
It was the first recipe I bookmarked after receiving the magazine, but haven’t tried them yet.
I want to try them even more now, after reading your post!
Oooh, I saw that recipe, and was considering making them. Yours look mahhhvelous!
Just found your blog – Google Reader recommended it to me. I saw this recipe and I knew this was my kind of blog! These look amazing, particularly the mint variation. Definitely going to try these soon!