We celebrated the way we always do in Texas: with a pitcher of margaritas and watching the neighbors set stuff on fire.
1/3 of my household was asleep by 6:30 pm. 1/3 of my household was sick. And my third settled in with a carafe of Blackberry Margaritas, some crab & artichoke dip, a couple of episodes of Dexter, and my tripod.
To whip up these blackberry margaritas, I simply swapped out the berries in our Raspberry Margarita recipe. They’re a little sweet, a little tart, and a little boozy.
So they’re perfect 🙂
And the perfect end to a wonderful year. The detox starts tomorrow. Next week, we’ll share some lighter recipes to help us recover from the butter, sugar, and tequila. But until then, Happy 2012!
Fresh blackberries transform the classic margarita into a happy hour rockstar.
- For the blackberry puree:
- 6 oz blackberries
- 1/4 cup water
- For the cocktails:
- 3-4 oz blackberry puree
- 9 oz lime juice
- 9 oz water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 oz orange liqueur
- 3 oz blackberry liqueur
- 6 oz tequila
- Heat berries and 1/4 water over medium heat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to break down the berries.
- Pour into a strainer set over a bowl and press the pulp and juices through the stainer, into the bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water and heat until sugar is dissolved and the water is clear.
- Add puree, simple syrup, lime juice, liqueurs, and tequila in a small pitcher or carafe. (If you have trouble finding blackberry liqueur, omit it or replace it with a couple extra tablespoons of blackberry puree).
- Stir well and serve over ice.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes
Happy New Year, Shawnda! Those margs look DELISH! Cheers to 2012!!
Ahhh, love the sounds of your New Year’s Eve. Can’t get enough Dexter! Happy New Year, hope your 2012 is off to a great start 🙂
Happy New Year, Shawnda! I can’t wait to detox with you and just all around hang out in 2012!
SO YUM! Great way to kick off 2012! Happy new year 🙂
I need an excuse to make this drink (well really I just need happy hour to be soon)!
Love that you sat there with your tripod & cocktails! Happy new year, hope to see you guys in 2012 🙂
Happy New Year! Thank you for being one my top 11 blogs in 2011!
Thanks, Lexi 🙂
You always have the best margs. These sounds to-die-for!
These look incredibly refreshing and beautiful!
The drink has a great color and you’re right about not wearing anything white to create it.
These margaritas were fabulous! Everyone loved them! Can’t wait to have them again.