There’s absolutely nothing – and I mean nothing – wrong with the traditional BLT: smooshy preservative-laden white bread, mayo (actually, this is the one place I want Miracle Whip), tomatoes, ice berg lettuce, and copious amounts of crispy bacon and black pepper. Perfection.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t try to make it better.
From the bottom up, we have toasted bread slathered with ranch (because this is Texas and we ranch all the things, all the time), topped with a handful of salad greens, sliced roma tomatoes, avocado slices, crispy bacon, and a filet of salmon seared in the drippings from that crispy bacon.
Because go big or go home, right?
(And then when you get home, go ahead and make a breadless version for the EightySevenPercent Whole30er in the house. Later this week, the EightySevenPercent Whole30er in this house will show you how.)
Open-Faced Salmon Avocado BLTs
It's the ultimate (SA)BLT: crispy bacon, salmon seared in bacon drippings, sliced avocado, and ranch.
- 4 slices crusty white bread, sliced on the diagonal
- 4 slices thick bacon
- 4 3-4oz salmon filets, skin removed
- Ranch dressing
- Salad greens
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced thinly
- Chopped chives
- Toast the bread slices under the broiler until browned on both sides.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, crisp the bacon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving behind as much bacon dripping as possible.
- Salt and pepper the salmon and sear, covered, for 4 minutes.
- Flip and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the bacon.
- Build the sandwiches from the bottom up: bread, ranch, salad greens, tomato slices, avocado slices, bacon, and salmon.
- Top with chives, grab a fork and knife, and dig in.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 30 minutes
Wow, your pictures are stunning. I love salmon, I shouldn’t have read this post when I’m so hungry right now! 🙂 Pinned
I think this might just be the way to get Kyle to not groan when I mention we’re having salmon for dinner. Outstanding idea, friend!
Bacon, salmon and ranch… Hello, this is a thing of beauty! LOVe you pan fried the salmon in the bacon fat. Scrumptious photos!
I just got some salmon fillets and can’t wait to try this recipe! The sandwich looks delicious! Great photos!