Hamburger buns are one of our favorite breads to make. I typically bake a batch each month and then put them in the freezer for burger nights. We have several trusty recipes that we turn to over and over, but every once in a while, we like to try something new.
My parents sold an awesome jalapeno and cheddar roll at their bakery when I was younger that I absolutely loved using it for burgers. So when I saw a chipotle bun on the menu at the burger place near the Foodie Groom’s office, I was intrigued. But not intrigued enough to order it, I had already made up my mind 🙂
Burger buns are just another excuse to add an extra layer of flavor to dinner. I added chopped chipotle and a hefty dose of adobo sauce to a standard burger bun recipe. The buns are slightly sweet, with a hint of chipotle and subtle warmth after each bite, but it shouldn’t be enough to scare away the heat haters (the Foodie Baby ate them).
Chipotle Hamburger Buns
Soft, tender hamburger buns infused with warm chipotles.
- 3/4 cup very warm water, divided
- 1 pkg yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp melted butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 chipotles, chopped + 2-3 Tbsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 3 - 4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Sesame seeds
- Put 1/2 cup water into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook and stir in the sugar. Sprinkle 1 package of yeast over top and let rest 10 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp melted butter, egg, chopped chipotles, adobo sauce, and remaining 1/4 cup water.
- Add 3 cups flour and salt and turn mixer on to low.
- Knead 5-7 minutes, until dough comes together and forms a soft, smooth ball. (Dough should clean the sides of the bowl, add additional flour if necessary.)
- Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide it into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a round ball and flatten with your palm to 3 inches across. Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brush the buns with 1/2 Tbsp of the melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 15 - 18 minutes, until golden.
- Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter.
- Let buns cool before slicing.
Yields: 8 buns
Estimated time: 3 hours