Homemade barbecue sauce is really easy to make. And you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry to make your own jar right now.
We like our barbecue sauce a little on the spicy side. A heaping dose of minced chipotles in adobo adds just the right amount of heat and smokiness to the sauce. The best part is that it takes 10 minutes to make and there are no preservatives or weird sweeteners.
Whip up a batch. Or a double batch. And if you go through it as fast as we do, maybe even a triple batch.
Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Homemade barbecue sauce in 10 minutes!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup peppers and sauce from canned chipotles in adobo, minced
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp spicy brown (or creole) mustard
- 1 Tbsp molasses (or brown sugar, optional)
- Black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium sauce pan.
- Saute onions until soft and translucent. Add garlic, stir, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the minced chipotles and sauce to the pan.
- Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, mustard, and molasses.
- Thin with water to desired consistency (I usually use about 1/2 cup) and heat just until bubbles begin to appear.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a jar or airtight bowl and store in the fridge (will keep for ~2 weeks).
- If you want a completely smooth sauce, let it cool a bit and run it through the blender.
Yields: ~1 1/2 cups
Estimated time: 10 minutes
This sounds yummy!
This sounds amazing! Great recipe.
I just made a huge batch of bbq sauce this wkd.
I am all about the spice. This is a barbecue sauce I could totally get behind!
This sounds perfect for Michael and I. I’ve managed to get a lot of the Portland spice wimpiness out of him. Now I can enjoy food with flavor again. I can’t wait to make this, perhaps on some burgers with a nice sharp cheddar and some caramelized onions…
I have recently discovered chipoltes in adobo, this looks genius!
This is called perfect timing 🙂 I was looking for a sauce recipe and here it is looking delicious.
Wow…..the dish looks perfect….
Loved it 🙂
I love homemade BBQ sauce! It’s so simple and you can really get a lot of variety in terms of flavor. I’ve never made it with chipotle, but now I’m going to!
That sounds delicious. I love chipotle. I’ve made BBQ a time or two and you are right-it is easy to make. Your picture is fantastic!
I think chipotle makes everything taste batter. I really, really do. This sauce must be created over here 🙂
I agree with Marala that chipotle makes everything taste better. This recipe looks delicious. I love finding recipes that are yummy but healthy. Thanks.
I think my husband will LOVE this! How (and how long) do you suggest to store this? When I watch “The Neeley’s” on food network they are always pulling out a mason jar of their own sauce. I would love to be able to do that but wonder how long it will last?
oh man, i just reread and you already answered that question! haha
Thanks for the recipe and answering all my questions before I even ask!
Hi, quick question! Is that apple cider vinegar? Thank you!